Chapter 5 | A coincidence?

For the first time, Sora noticed how Kairi looked at Riku. She was staring in wonder at him and it was definitely him. No, it couldn't be. She couldn't be having a crush on him.

Sora felt like crying, as if a waterfall was urging to make its way out from his eyes. He tried to stay as positive possible with possible situations, but deep down he knew. She was interested in him, just like he was with her. She was looking at Riku just like how he looked at Kairi. Then, he thought. What if she knew about his crush too? What if she knew that he liked her? Panic rushed into his head as he intensely stared at the small girl to his side. He really wanted to ask her, but being the coward he was, he couldn't let himself do so. He could only wonder forever and ever. They walked out of the school, Sora barely listening to whatever Kairi was talking about until they could both see their other friend Roxas. The blonde was seen talking to one of the teachers as he embraced most of his textbooks in his arms. He seemed to be enjoying himself. Not thinking too much about it, the duo quickly made their way to Mr. Axel and Roxas as they were to go home.

"Hey Sora! Glad to see you excited for once. Make sure to bring me that math homework I gave you, finished most likely." The redhead grinned at the poor boy's suffering. He knew that the kid had no interest in maths at all, including succeeding his class with him. That's why these days, he has been keeping an extra hand on Sora, just to make sure he at least passes the class. The other twin simply flicked his fingers over his brother's forehead as he was making a scene in front of everyone. Kairi didn't seem to mind at all. In fact, she was laughing along with the teacher, although she noticed how Sora somehow didn't felt as energetic as he always did. He just didn't felt like it. Kairi brushed it off as it didn't seemed like a big deal so she continued her giggles as Roxas kept teasing his brother. The math teacher having to go back to his paper work, this interaction had to be cut off after a few minutes, Axel leaving after one last wave to the blonde twin. Roxas slowly died on the inside as he watched his crush walk away with the sun shining down on his red hair. The trio then made their way to Kairi's dorm room, a walk a lot less energetic than usual as the blonde brother noticed. Sora seemed down. Did something worse happened than the cupcake accident? Maybe he was still moody after the cupcake. He figured that he'd ask him at home where Kairi would be nowhere in sight. The both of them planned to go see their parents today.

After the small walk, the twins finally parted from Kairi as she walked into the girl's dorm building and then, they finally continued their walk towards their house, Sora looking as sad as ever. Roxas could still tell that he was trying to hide it from him, that he didn't wanted anyone to notice so he could go sink in a pool of sorrow all by himself. That'll be hard to do when they'll be in their own shared room.

Later
The two brothers finally arrived at the front door, knocking loudly as they always did for their parents to recognize them. They even had a beat to it. Their mom and dad, totally surprised from them showing up, let them in, and promised to make them a cup of hot chocolate as they eat dinner together. After hugging them properly, the twins walked up to their room, their old shared room. The youngest one dropped his bag on the floor as soon as he walked through the door frame and settled down on the bottom bed, not expecting the other one to jump on him, almost tackling him on the carpeted floor of their room. Roxas swore as he tried to catch his breath and finally calmed down when he noticed that his brother stopped moving. "Can you get off now? You're so heavy for a skinny dumbass." He asked and waited for an answer. All he got was a muffled groan and an unmoving brother who was reducing his lungs capacity. He tried pushing Sora off, but then realized that the boy was gripping on him, hiding his face in the process. Ah, he knew what that meant. "I'll give you a hug Sora, just let me breathe for a second." He said in a sweet tone and the brunette finally released the blondie to give him some air. Sora was sulking and his eyes were a little glassy. After a minute, Roxas reached out for the other with opened arms and gave him a long embrace for Sora to organize his thoughts. He remembered when they used to do this as kids. Sora used to have those nightmares every night and each time, his twin was here for him, right under the top bed.

They stayed like this for a while and had to break apart from their hug when they heard their mom calling out for them. It was dinner time and after not seeing their parents in a while, they weren't going to bail. "So, you're not going to tell me?" Roxas asked as he stood up from his bed. Sora stayed silent for a few seconds before shaking his head. "Not now." The brunette was still very gloomy and Roxas really didn't want to force anything out of him when he was in that state. He understood. "Yeah, it's okay. Take your time. Now, let's go enjoy our hot chocolates downstairs before they get cold."

Three days later
No, this couldn't be a coincidence. Sora widened his eyes as he looked down in the hallway because there behind the door of the neighborhood class was Riku, again. Just as surprised as Sora was, the taller boy also stopped in his tracks, noticing how they've been bumping into each other more than too many times. His eyes were even wider than the brunette's, jaw almost hitting the floor. This nonsense had started three days ago when they first bumped into each other as Sora walked into the wrong classroom that morning. Then at lunch, Riku ended up right behind the other while they waited in line for cafeteria. After that, they both ran on each other as they turned a corner and even after a few hours, they crossed paths as they made their way to their dorms. Even Roxas find it weird until today, when he suddenly thought about something. Sora begged him to tell him, but the blonde really wasn't sure about his assumption so he brushed it off and ignored his brother when he'd ask about it.

But now it had happened again and Sora was pissed. Was the teen stalking him or something? His body shivered at the simple thought of it while Riku then had the same thought. He also felt scared of these sudden confrontations. Was Sora stalking him or something? Both extremely freaked out, they turned around and quickly walked out on opposite sides, trying to find their friends and to get away from those awkward situations.

When Sora finally reached the outside world, he let himself get hit by the cold wind coming his way and took a deep breath. One more class and he gets to go back to his room. Only one more... The sudden realization hit him. Today was Friday and it meant blitzball. Blitzball meant Tidus, Wakka and... Riku. Without holding back, Sora just let out a frustrated groan and went back inside all droopy, needing a morale boost from anyone at this point. He couldn't stand Riku anymore. He is popular, hot, smart, athletic, a teacher's pet and now he also won at winning Kairi's heart even if the smaller boy knew her for ages. That was unfair. Totally unfair. He walked around the halls like a zombie until he reached people he knew which made him stand happily again. It was Olette, Hayner and Pence chatting in a corner of the cafeteria. He felt his enthusiasm come back as he ran towards them. Waving his hand in the air, the girl noticed him and smiled back, already making some space for Sora. He gladly sat down in a second and greeted the other two. "So? What's up? Do you need us to cover for you again for the dorm? You know this could get us kicked out right?" Hayner asked seriously, but was still relaxed about it. Sora knew that Hayner or the other two don't mind doing that for him some times to times. He shook his head and explained his problem to his roomates, leaving out the stealing Kairi part. No one knew about his crush except for Roxas and he planned to keep it that way.

"Okay, that's some weird stuff. Maybe he is stalking you." As soon as Pence said that, Sora could feel his bones turning to ice. That was impossible and extremely awful to think about. He didn't have anything against dudes and dudes relationships, but the fact that it was Riku just made him want to puke. Olette and Hayner could only agree to what Pence had said and not really in the mood to hear some more about Riku having feelings for him, he decided to get going and maybe ask his brother to replace him on the field instead.

He did and he said no.