The Gate

Super light editing so please forgive any overlooked mistakes. Art not mine.

XXX

Early in the evening the group gathered again, but this time to plan and prepare. The plan was set. You, Persona, would go into the maze and solved the puzzle the long dead prince could not. You would be alone with only Yami's shadow at your side.

Not a soul argued against this plan, though they clearly wanted to.

For the next six hours, Seto and Yami worked together to bring back order to the maze while Yugi and the turned elder witch worked on spells that could be useful in your journey. When Yugi then sat with Clyde to draw out any more useful information from him about the garden's maze and the old kingdom's dark past.

As for you, you were taking a small walk in the hall with Mai, who was still healing but well enough to be out of bed, and Joey. Yami and the others wanted you to rest but that was not going to happen while they were all working hard. "A walk," you finally said to Yami, who looked ready to pick you up and lock you in your room, "A walk will help me rest." Yami had been reluctant at first but gave in when both Seto and Yugi argued that a walk would help calm my mind.

Arm in arm, you and Mai walked listening to Joey go on about the battle in the town as your faithful guards walked behind you. Joey toned down the amount of carnage he witness when it became obvious that something was wrong with Yami. Both him and Seto wanted to return to the castle but couldn't risk losing the inner maze. As Joey lead people to safety, Seto fought off the enemy in full force. "Man," Joey said as he stretched his arms over his head. "It was a good thing Pops made so many tunnels. I think a lot more people would have died."

"Joey!"

Joey flinched then rubbed his head. "Sorry, I guess it's not the most relaxing topic right now." His honeyed eyes peered over at you and you smiled at him.

"I'm glad you were able to save as many lives as you could." You said with a small smile. "I only hope solving the maze don't cost anymore lives."

"Maybe the king could have the patrol standing by just in case. They know where all the tunnels are"

"That's a good idea! I'll tell him when I see him later."

"But," Joey said rethinking his suggestion, "it may be better to get everyone out of the town since we don't know what will happen. Being underground may not be the best place."

An image of a massive cave in killing all the citizens in one crushing blow made me wince as a small, "Oh" left me.

Mai cleared her throat to take charge of the conversation saying forcefully, "When this is all over, I demand that we do something fun together! Go on a picnic or a shopping spree. Anything that does not involved life or death choices."

Joey and I looked at each and laughed. "What! What are you too laughing about?" Mai asked looking between us.

"Nothing Mai. I think it's a great idea." You said.

"Yeah, though I'm not sure about a shopping spree. You can drag Persona and Milda along for that, but I wouldn't mind a picnic. Or even, a hike!"

"Ugh," Mai groaned. "You are such a dog."

"Hey! I'm a wolf!" Joey cried.

"Yeah, yeah, I know." Mai replied patting Joey's head and throwing him a flirtatious wink. Joey reddening at the act and huffed turning away.

You giggled at the two then said, "I do like the picnic idea. I think it would be a nice way to relax once all this is over. Just thinking of being out of here makes me want to go through the gate sooner."