The Sorercer and His Game

xxx

"Tea?" The old sorcerer asked as a pot floated in the air. Before we sat we tried to get a name out of him, but the sorcerer ignored our questions and sat down at a large round table filled with tea things. Even sitting down the sorcerer appeared to tower over us. He had a long white robe that looked wore with age. Apart from his height, his skin was a striking feature that would be hard to miss. It looked grey, but not sickly, just ancient. With his grey skin, dark eyes and white hair, beard and robe, I wouldn't be surprise if had crawled out of the dirt to greet us.

"No, thank you." I said as polity as I could.

His dark eyes glanced over at Yugi who shook his head no. The sorcerer shrugged and poured himself a cup then flicked a finger to summon two sugar cubes from the open bowl. They dropped into the cup with a satisfying plop. The table we sat at held plates of sweet, fruit and little tea time foods. I felt a tad hungry at the sight but then remember the medicine beads Ode had given me. Later or when the old man wasn't looking I would eat one.

"If you're hungry dear lady, I assure you that everything here is safe to eat." The sorcerer said before bringing the cup to his breaded lips to take a long sip. Yugi eyed me. "Don't eat a thing!" They said. The sorcerer brought down his cup with an audible, "Ahh" then said, "You two are the first guest I've had in years. Believe me, I mean you no harm. However, if you do not wish to eat sweet lady then may I suggest you sleep awhile. I wish to speak to Yugi alone."

My mouth opened at the dismissal but suddenly felt light head. The last thing I saw before blacking out was Yugi's frighten face as he reached out to me.

Xxx

The sorcerer calmly sipped his tea as Yugi tried to wake Persona. Her soft breaths were little comfort since there was nothing Yugi could do stir her from the sleeping spell. Nothing, but submit himself to the powerful old sorcerer's whims. Yugi spotted a green cushioned chase sofa and carefully picked up Persona and carried her to it with the shadow curled on her belly.

With another flick of a finger a pinked ice cookie floated up and stayed midair as the sorcerer bit into it. The crunching noise uneased Yugi as he settle the young woman's body into the chase. The shadow gave his hand a nudge then glanced up at him with its red and purple eyes. Yugi gave it a small smile asking, "You'll protect her. Right?" It titled its head then circled Persona's belly like a cat till it curled up to rest. Another 'crunch' of a cookie made Yugi stiffen then take a deep breath before returning to his seat at the table.

He sat with his hands folded tightly on his lap and peered at the sorcerer who was busy eating a tiny sandwich. It was noon time and Yugi had not eaten since that morning, though not much. Watching the sorcerer eat from the plates of food tempted Yugi but he would not risk a trap.

"You," Yugi started but his voice cracked with dryness. He coughed and swallowed nervously, "You wanted to speak with me?"

The sorcerer chewed lazily then took a finally sip of his tea and set it down to sit back in his chair. Yugi watched as he moved his tongue around his closed mouth to clean his teeth. The sorcerer moved with slow uncaring pace that made Yugi sweat in his chair though the sorcerer showed no hostility. No, instead the old man oozed with power. The kind of power that could kill either him or Persona with a flick of that one finger.

Yugi watch as the sorcerer settled into his chair then stroke his long white bread. A box on a small table near where Persona was sleeping opened and out from it came a pipe and a match box. They flew to the sorcerer and he simply parted his lips for the pipe. The match stuck itself and with a few puffs the pipe was going. When the match box returned to its place the sorcerer finally started to speak.