Epilogue Part 1 : The Calling

"Take Persona through the gate. Take care of her for me."

Yugi growled at the final words Yami had sent him before closing the link. "The hell is he thinking?" Yugi muttered to himself as he flew closer to the walls of the castle. In his mind, Yami had no business dying or sacrificing his life. Not when Persona was carrying his child.

Yes, Yugi still did not forgive the demon for what he had done. Yes, he resented the fact that Persona was carrying his child at all, but he could not let Yami die. Persona was going to need him. The child was going to need him.

"Please, Look after them for me."

The wings at his back worked harder as the words of the demon echoed around in his head. No, he thought, that's your job! Not mine! Yugi was not going to step in for anyone and what Yami was trying to do was the epitome of selfishness.

The red sky was now thick with black clouds and the only thing giving light were the fires blazing all around. Yugi had to drown out the sounds of explosions and screaming to keep himself from stopping. He had to get to the castle. The finality in Yami's words worried Yugi that the demon was about to put himself in danger or was dying or dead. Don't be dead! Don't you dare be dead! The small sprite flew faster despite how much it hurt him to push his wings to their limit. Below him the orc Ode kept up with the sprite at a surprising pace and Yugi was grateful that he didn't have to slow down for him. 

Ahead, he could see a group of trolls walking up a path that led to the fallen gate where he and the others had barely made it through. The trolls look bruised and battle wore, but they still pounded at the wall of the castle with their clubs and fist. Ode yelled for Yugi to stop just when a swarm of arrows came raining down from over the mountain of rubble. "This way little master!" Ode yelled and led Yugi around the battle so he would not get struck down by an arrow or club. Ode had no time to help his fellow guards and continued to follow Yugi. Over the rubble they went and neither stop to look back at the fighting goblins. If they were still fighting to protect the castle then maybe Yami was still alive somewhere.

The smell of burning was suffocating and the smoke in the air made it hard for Yugi to breath. He started to cough, and Ode called u to him saying, "Come down little Master! Flying will do you no good!"

Yugi nodded and changed back into his human size form and started running into the destroyed courtyard. He had to find a way in, but all the paths were block by rubble and smoke. A group of goblins ran passed him and Yugi tried to ask if they had seen the king, but they ran off without even looking at him or Ode. Yugi looked up at the stone castle to see if he could figure out where he was in the castle grounds. Just as he glanced up a huge chuck of the wall from a high tower came crumbing down. Ode didn't wait for Yugi to move and picked him up with one big arm and ran with him back towards the ruin garden. Dust splashed up in the air making it even harder to see. When Ode was certain that no more stones were falling he set Yugi down and step aside to give him space.

"Thank you." Yugi said. Just when the words left his mouth a loud roar echoed out from deep in the garden. Back near where the gate to the true maze stood. "Seto!" Yugi cried out. He had forgotten all about Seto. Would Yami be where Seto is? Where they battling the beast together?

Yugi spun to look up at the giant orc and asked, "Ode, do you know of any why to get to back the gate!"

Ode frowned as he looked at the rubble path saying, "It was never a quick walk to that place and the damage has made it worse."

Yugi let out a frustrated breath then moved back looking for a way around the torn-up hedges and chucks of stone. Anywhere he moved there was a fog of smoke that block him from seeing further. Risking the possibility that a troll or ogre was nearby Yugi started calling out from Yami. "Atem! Atem!" He ran wishing he could force open the link so he could find out where the demon was in all this chaos. Ode did not stop him and followed close behind ready to protect Yugi from anything that threaten to harm him.