Chapter 14

-Edited-

(Reader's pov)

The wolves surrounding us growled in hungry, their fur standing up on end and baring their teeth intimidating us.

'God what do I do?' i began to panic, my hands starting to shake and I frantically searched the area for an opening through the circle of wolves but came up empty-handed making me even more scared.

The horse reared up in fear when one of the wolves snapped their jaws at him causing me to be nearly knocked off but when that happened I remembered my bow as it bumped against me.

I went to reach for it but the horse at that moment jumped over the wolves and made a mad dash further into the woods with me holding on for dear life.

I could hear the wolves growling and barking behind us. I leaned forward and hit the side of the horse trying to make it go faster so we weren't for dinner.

We jumped over logs, under low hanging branches and in between tree's but the wolves were still right behind us.

I noticed one of the wolves caught up to us on the left side and it made an attempt to bite us.

When it was in midair, I reached behind me and grabbed onto an arrow and stabbed the wolf with it. The wolf fell to the ground with my arrow stuck into its neck and didn't get up when it's pack run past it.

'We may actually be able to get away' i thought hopefully but the world seems to hate me because the wolves cut us off from the front causing the horse to rear up in fear, kicking me off.

I rolled into the snow for a bit before stopping in front of a tree. Dazed from the tumble I looked up to find that my horse had run off and left me to deal with the wolves.

"Oi!" I screamed but the horse just kept running. Seeing the horse's fleeting figure made fear bloom inside of me. 

The wolves surrounded me and growled showing their pearly whites as making me more scared but when the thought of my family entered my head I determined to get back to them. 

Not going down without a fight I reached behind me and grabbed onto two arrows and held onto one in each hand.

I stood up in the snow trying to make my self look bigger but that didn't deter the wolves but that is expected as they take down prey much bulkier and bigger than them.

We stood off like this for a bit before one of the wolves jumped at me. I dodged the attack and when the wolf landing back onto the ground, I rushed forward and stabbed it in the neck instantly killing it.

That action alone used up a lot of energy that I didn't have but I wasn't just about to lay down and show my stomach.

I quickly ripped the arrow out of the body and turned back around and glared harshly at the wolves around me. One by one but my eyes locked onto the wolves until they met the eyes of a wolf that was bigger than the rest. The wolf looked from his dead buddy to me and growled in anger.

The bigger wolf barked loudly which seemed to be a signal for his friends to creep towards me. I raised the bloody arrow up in the air to show that I wasn't going down without a fight.

A wolf from the right of me jumped in the air with its jaw of sharp teeth open. I turned to this wolf and with an upwards motion stabbed my arrow into its stomach. The wolf whimpered then went limp over my shoulder. Using my strength I threw him off me and to his pack.

I reached back for another arrow and grabbed one just in time before another jumped at me. This went on for a while with me either killing or injuring them until the big alpha wolf stepped forward.

The wolf lent closer to the ground as it began to circle me. The wolf and I didn't break eye contact until he started running at me.

This threw me off as all the other ones just jumped at me so I wasn't quite sure what to do but I got my self in the right position to defend my self and went to reach for another arrow but came out empty-handed.

In my moment of shock, the wolf knocked me off my feet causing me to fall to the ground heavily. I lent up from my laying pose and saw the wolf stalking to me. I tried to move back as fast as I could but I ran into a tree.

Just before the wolf could do anything, a loud roar interrupted us to the left of us then the next thing I knew a familiar paw swiped the wolf off the ground and held it up.

Noticing that the owner to the paw was the beast I sighed in relief knowing that I was saved.

The beast fought off the pack as much as he could and he did end up doing it but he collapsed right after they left with their tails between their legs.

I sat there for a moment catching my breath and looking over the scene the beast and I caused and that's when my horse came running through the tree's and stopped next to the beast.

"And where have you been you, bloody coward! you left me for dead!' i screamed at it. The horse looked guiltily away from me.

I wanted to scream at it more but doing that would do no good so I just rested some more against the tree for a couple of moments more before trying to get up.

I got up from my 'comfortable' seat with a grunt of pain and started hobbling my way to my horse but I stopped at the unconscious beast.

'I can't just leave him here' So with much reluctance i somehow lifted the beast upon the horse and made my way back to the castle.

'God I hate how nice I am sometimes..'