Chapter Eighteen

Isadora POV: *six months later*
It's the dress. It's definitely the dress, or the shoes. I've been trying to pinpoint the source of my anxiety and I'm almost certain that all of my nervousness lies in the nightmarish thought that I will trip and fall, ripping my dress and taking down Duncan, Quigley and a few chairs with me if I'm lucky. Violet gives my arm a reassuring squeeze. She looks gorgeous in her dress, a pale lavender colour that makes her look like the human embodiment of a scented candle. "Ok ladies, let's get this show on the road!" Quigley whispers. He, Duncan and I had a few tearful conversation about who was going to walk me down the aisle, and around conversation #5 we decided on having both of them, one on each side of me. Sunny and Violet are my bridesmaids in pastel purple and after Beatrice got wind of the fact that everyone was going to be walking down the aisle with me she insisted on playing a part, so she is going to be scattering rose settles behind our procession. Klaus, of course, is not going to be walking down with us. He's at the altar right now, probably freaking out like the adorably flustered cinnamon roll that he is. Duncan reaches to open the door and it still surprises me every time I look at his hand to see the silver glint of a wedding band on his finger, but I'm getting used to it. He and Violet are practically inseparable now after tying the knot two months ago. The first strain of music begins to play as the door opens. I glide down the aisle, thankfully not tripping at all, gazing at the faces of the people in the chairs. Violet's colleagues and a handful of Sunny's friends from culinary college, Lemony and a blonde haired, grey-eyed woman with hands intertwined and, in the front row, as promised, Hector and his mother both bawling their eyes out. 'I've looked around enough to know that you're the one I wanna go through time with." The music has died out by the time that I reach Klaus. He looks so dashing in his tux and when he smiles at me it is as if I'm falling in love with him all over again. The judge officiating is a middle-aged woman with smile creases around her eyes and as she  addresses the audience Klaus leans forward and whispers, "You look beautiful, Izzy."

"Thank you," I say, blushing.

"I can't wait to be married to you."

"Well you won't have to wait for much longer, love." I say. After about ten minutes the judge turns to us and says, "Now it's the part we've all been waiting for. Please repeat after me as you put your rings on each other's fingers." Beatrice walks forward with a small pillow holding the two small silver rings inlaid with sapphires. "Klaus Baudelaire, do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife, to love and to cherish through sickness and health and through Very Fancy Dinnerparties, till death do you part?"

"I do."

"And do you, Isadora Quagmire, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband, to love and to cherish through sickness and health and Various Fickle Debates?"

Klaus's eyes are a question and my answer is yes.

"I do."

"Alright. Before I can marry you, I believe that you have something to say Isadora?"

I take a deep breath. "Yes. ever since I met you, Klaus Baudelaire, I have been indescribably, intoxicatingly in love with you. One of my favourite poets puts it best, though.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death."