Chapter 23

It was dead of the night. The streetlights were flickering away. Everything was quiet until suddenly the rumbling sound of several bike engines were heard which was accompanied by several rogue male voices shouting profanities.

There was one bike in the front driven by a girl. She was hurt and very disoriented. There was blood all over her torso. Her vision was blurring out from excessive loss of blood. But by sheer determination, she drove the bike as steadily as she could and as fast as she could. She knew help is on the way. All she had to do was to hold these thugs off till then. But it was getting so hard to keep her eyes open.

There were about a half dozen bikes following her. They were driven by all sorts of thug looking guys. They stunk of alcohol. All their eyes were bloodshot as they crazily chased after the girl like she was some meal.

The girl finally lost her battle of consciousness and when she finally lost control, at the speed she was diving, the bike rampaged into the divider between the roads and sent the girl flying.

All the guys following screeched to a stop and sobered up. One of them approached the girl, all he saw was blood everywhere. All of them panicked and fled from there in a heartbeat.

The girl struggled to breathe and with all her might using the last of her energy, she mumbled, "Help" and then finally passed out cold. With every passing minute, her breathing was getting shallow.

Gautham couldn't fall asleep no matter what he did. For some reason, he felt anxious and his mind was running in circles. He finally got out of the bed and went outside. He kept staring at Sindhu's door for a while and then sneaked in for a quick glance. But his whole being froze when he saw her state.

Sindhu looked so pale. She was struggling in her sleep. Her clothes clung to her due to excessive sweat. She was panting and hyperventilating.

Gautham quickly went near her and shook her awake. Sindhu's eyes flew open and she sat up straight in a start. She was panting for air and her eyes were unfocused.

Gautham rubbed on her arms and caressed her face in order to soothe her as he softly whispered some words of comfort, "Hey, its okay. You're alright. Breathe."

Sindhu took several deep breaths and finally calmed down. Then she focused on her surrounding when her eyes finally landed on Gautham and met his concerned eyes. She frowned in confusion and asked, " What are you doing here?? Did I wake you??" Her voice was slightly hoarse.

Gautham did not answer instead he went to the bathroom and took a towel. He came back sat beside her wiped her sweat. Once he was done, he tucked the loose strands of hair behind her ears and tidied her bed hair. His brows still frowned with concern. His eyes kept darting over her face to make sure she was okay.

Sindhu let out a warm smile squeezing his hands and said, "I am alright Gautham."

Gautham signed in relief and brought her into his embrace said in a whisper, "Thank god. I was just checking up on you when I found you like that. You were struggling to breathe as if you were being chocked."

After a while, he let go of her from his embrace but held her face between his hands and asked her in a serious voice, "Are you really okay now?? You want to talk about it??"

Sindhu shook her head between his hands and gave him a reassuring smile and said, "I never remember my dreams. So it's easier to deal with. All I ever remember is the split second before I crash and it always the same. My bike smashing into the divider and then I wake up panting and sweating."

After saying that, she shifted, gestured Gautham to sit properly and then laid down on his lap. Thus Gautham had both of his legs outstretched out in front of him while leaning back on the headboard of the bed while Sindhu laid on his laps sprawled sideways on the bed. Both fell asleep in the same way.