Chapter 26

The marriage was exactly one month away. Sindhu was sitting in her room with all her lights switched off and doors locked shut. Her mind was messed up and in a daze. She did not know what she was feeling. Her heart was in a twist.

This room... It has been her safe haven and her hell at the same time for as long as she could remember. She had not lived here for 4 years but still this was her home. She always knew she could come back to this one place no matter what and it will give her the solace. But after these weeks, this won't be her room. This will not be her home. She did not know how to digest this fact. Her heart was in a twist. She felt so terrified all of a sudden.

The voices in her head won't stop. She kept remembering all the things she ever experienced within these walls- some good some bad. It was so overwhelming that she felt as if she was drowning. She felt so lost and helpless. And the silence surrounding her was almost deafening.

All these days she did not even have the time to be afraid. Her office and all the endless amount of rituals and preparations for the marriage had kept her busy. At last she had completed all the arrangements' for the marriage and was supposed to get some rest at last.

But the minute she came inside her room to get some quiet and alone time, the sudden thought that here after she was supposed to share her room with someone else came crashing and left her feeling complicated. She had never shared a room with anyone. She had always slept alone from when she was 10 years old when she was first given a room of her own. So she did not know how to share it with someone else.

If she doesn't even know how to share a room, how was she supposed to share her life with another person???

After a while of just sitting there in her room letting her thoughts run wild all over the place, she took her phone out and called Gautham. She felt like she will drive herself crazy if she sat in her room all alone for one more minute.

She scrambled out of her bed and slipped into a jean and a hoodie. Then she carefully peeked out of her room.

She signed in relief when she saw that her mum was nowhere to be found. Then she quietly snuck out of her house. She pulled on her boots and sat down on the steps to her house. She plugged on her ear piece which was blaring an upbeat song.

Sindhu softly hummed along with the song tapping her legs. He eyes wandered around without really seeing anything. She concentrated on the song so that she won't end up thinking about anything else. And she succeeded to an extent. Her fear subsided greatly once she tried to distract herself.

After a while, the music stopped and her phone screen blared with Gautham's name on it.. She got up and went out.

And right outside the gate, Gautham was standing beside his bike with his helmet on his hands and drooping eyes. He was still in his night wear- track pants and an oversized t-shirt. He let out a loud yawn.

Seeing Gautham like this, Sindhu felt guilty.

"Sorry I woke you." Sindhu apologized.

Gautham shook his head while letting out another yawn. Then he gestured Sindhu to come to him. Sindhu stepped right in front of him and the next second he circled his hands around her waist and brought her closer into his embrace. He lowered his head and rested them on her shoulders and nuzzled into her completely and at last closed his eyes.

Sindhu smiled warmly. She knew it was so unreasonable of her to call him in the middle of the night. That too after the hectic day they had. But when her mind was still running wild, she had already called Gautham before she could even realize what she was doing. And Gautham being him did not protest even the slightest when she asked him if he could come over. He did not even think before he answered, "I will be there".

Sindhu ruffled his hair gently in a soothing manner while he was still resting his head on her shoulders.

After a while Gautham lifted his head and looked at Sindhu. His gaze was slightly dazed but still warm. He caressed Sindhu's cheeks with one hand and asked, "What happened to you??? Are you alright??? You seemed... I don't know. Something just felt off with you. You seemed upset." His voice was slightly hoarse.

Sindhu shook her head and snuggled into his chests and said with a pouty face, "I was not upset. It's just... my mind was working overtime. I just felt if I sat in my room all alone for one more minute I will end up driving myself to the brinks of insanity."

Gautham let out a chuckle while his heart warmed. He felt extremely pleased with himself at the thought that Sindhu thought of him first when she wanted company of all the people around her.

"What do you want to do??" Gautham asked once he came out of his thoughts.

"Take me out of here." Sindhu mumbled against his chest. Her voice felt desperate just like the first time she asked to take her for a drive.

"You want to drive??" Gautham asked dangling his keys in front of her face.

"No. Can you drive??" Sindhu asked back. She looked up at him with her eyes as transparent as a glass. For once she was not guarded or distant. She was showing her vulnerable self as is.

Gautham did not say anything anymore. He simply took her hands and dragged her to his bike. He took the spare helmet and hoisted it over Sindhu's head and adjusted the slings. Then he put on his own and started the bike. Sindhu followed suit and held onto him tightly.

They both flew through the city without any destination.

Sindhu let her mind go blank and just concentrated on the wind blowing through her face. When the cold breeze touched her skin, a shiver racked through her involuntarily. But it also made her feel alive and peaceful. All her earlier worries flew out in the wind. And she had an ear splitting grin adorning her face.

Sindhu circled her arms around Gautham and plastered her face on his backs and closed her eyes in pure bliss.