Chapter 8

A couple of hours later, Qui-Gon had still not returned to the ship. They were close to being done with repairs, and Obi-Wan was more anxious than ever to be on their way back to Coruscant. Petra made quick work of the repairs, however; he noted that she was a capable mechanic and knew her way around a ship's hyperdrive. He was impressed with her technical knowledge and her manner. She carried herself in a way that made her seem older than she was. As they finished with some last-minute tweaks to the hyperdrive, he finally had the courage to ask her more about herself. "There's not much to tell," she said as she tightened a coil. "I was a slave. I have been since I was about 4 human years old. My master used me for prostitution, or should I not tell you that?" she glanced at him as she said it. His cheeks flushed again. She didn't shy away from reality, that much was certain.

"You can tell me as much as you're comfortable with telling me," he answered. "I didn't mean to offend you."

"You didn't," she said, straightening. "It takes a lot to offend someone like me, you know." She eyed him as she cleaned her hands. He was uncomfortable, whether from her presence or from her perusal of him, she couldn't tell. He averted his eyes and refused to look at her. "Look. I'm not proud of what I was, but it's part of who I am. If it makes you uncomfortable, I don't have to talk about it."

"It's not.." Obi-Wan began, but they were interrupted. Panaka rushed into the engine room and said, "Qui-Gon's in danger," and at that, the three of them ran to the cockpit. There, they were met by Anakin, who was giving instructions to Ric Olie, the captain, on where to find Qui-Gon. "There, over there. Fly low," Obi-Wan said, pointing to the swirl of dust on the surface. Two figures were battling against one another, though all that Petra could clearly make out were two beams of light clashing against each other in the haze of dust. As the ship flew over the two, the ramp was lowered and Qui-Gon jumped aboard, leaving his adversary quite literally in the dust. He collapsed onto the floor of the ship as the ramp was retracted, and was quickly met by Anakin and Obi-Wan. Petra came behind a moment later with a container of water she had obtained from a crewmember. Breathing hard, Qui-Gon gratefully accepted it. "Are you all right?" she asked, concerned.

"Yes," he breathed. "That was a surprise I won't soon forget."

"What was it?" Obi-Wan asked.

Qui-Gon shook his head. "I don't know. Whatever it was, it was well trained in the Jedi arts. But it was no Jedi."

"Will it follow us? What are we going to do about it?" quizzed Anakin. Petra smiled, her brother's enthusiasm was a little much in the context of the situation. Obi-Wan looked at Anakin askew. Qui-Gon sighed. "We will be patient. Anakin Skywalker, meet Obi-Wan Kenobi."

Anakin turned to Obi-Wan, starstruck. "Wow! You're a Jedi too? Pleased to meet you!"

Obi-Wan smiled, but inwardly cringed. First the girl, and now her brother? What next?

ᐓᐓᐓᐓᐗᐗᐗᐗ

It was hours later, as those on the ship were mostly asleep, that Petra found herself wandering the corridors, unable to sleep herself. Qui-Gon had offered them the quarters he and Obi-Wan had been given, but she refused, not wanting to be coddled on their first night of freedom. She couldn't get out of her mind that once they got to wherever they were headed, she would be solely responsible for her brother. She worried about what to do when they reached their destination. How will we survive? "You know it could be dangerous to think so deeply on something. It can age you faster," Obi-Wan said, walking towards her. She started, unaware of anyone else's presence. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," he said as he stopped near her. "You seem troubled over something, is everything all right?"

She nodded. "I was...just thinking about my future. Our future-Ani's and mine, I mean" she stumbled, flustered that Obi-Wan seemed to be as capable of reading her as Qui-Gon. "I'm sorry, I should be grateful for being free."

Obi-Wan shook his head. "There is nothing to apologize for. I can understand your concerns, though I'm certain Qui-Gon has a plan for you," here he paused, crossing his arms. "In fact, I know he has a plan once we reach Coruscant."

She furrowed her brows quizzically. "He does?"

"Yes, but he's asked me not to say anything more," Obi-Wan said, motioning for her to walk beside him. "I know you don't know me very well, but please trust us. Qui-Gon won't allow you to go back to...well, back to what you were on Tatooine."

"You can say it, you know," she bit, a little too harshly. "You don't have to pander to me on that note."

"I'm sorry," he apologized. "I'm not trying to offend you. I don't believe anyone is beyond changing if they want to."

She stopped and faced him. "Well I do want to change. I've never wanted this life for myself."

"I never indicated otherwise" Obi-Wan replied, holding his hands up in surrender. "Qui-Gon explained the situation. I can't imagine leaving everything to start over with someone you've only known for a few days."

Petra took a breath before answering. "I'm sorry for losing my temper. I'm tired and anxious but that's no excuse for being rude to you."

Obi-Wan smiled. "I'm used to it." She shivered, and Obi-Wan wondered if she had anything but the clothes she was wearing, minimal though they were. He removed his robe. "May I?"

She looked at him for a moment before realizing what he was offering her. She nodded, and he draped his robe over her shoulders. She pulled it tightly around her as she thanked him. He shrugged and they continued walking back to the main hold. Through the course of their conversation, Petra realized that she was comfortable around him, unlike how she felt around Qui-Gon. Perhaps it was the fact that he was not much older than she, and she related to him better. Whatever the reason, she decided she would not mind having him as her friend and she hoped that arriving on Coruscant would not separate them by too far or too long. As they arrived back to the main hold, she began to remove his robe to give it back to him. He gestured against it. "Keep it, at least until we reach Coruscant. I have no need of it until then." He turned as if to leave and said, "We should be there in a few more hours. Hopefully you can sleep now."

"Thank you," she answered shyly. "Do you have to leave?"

Turning back, he asked, "Do you want me to leave?"

She shook her head. "No, I don't want you to leave. I like talking to you. And I don't think I'll be sleeping much anyway."

He nodded. "I'll stay, if that's what you really want."

Noting that Anakin, Jar Jar, and the others were asleep, they quietly continued talking through the remainder of the trip to Coruscant. A few hours later, as they were approaching Coruscant, Qui-Gon observed the two of them from the doorway. He noted how comfortable they seemed with one another, and even Petra seemed to be more relaxed than he'd ever seen her during the short time he'd known her. Yet, he hoped that his apprentice wasn't allowing himself to let his guard down with her. He had always tried to teach Obi-Wan to love others with an open heart, one that was willing to embrace separation and death along with love, but he feared that Obi-Wan would not be able to let go of someone that he loved. He would caution his apprentice against allowing himself to form any attachment to Petra...but he knew his apprentice well enough to know that Obi-Wan would have to make his own decision regarding his heart.