Frozen Rose

Weeks or so had passed and one morning Oscar woke up and looked out the window to see a fresh blanket of snow. But something stood out to him. There was a trail of.... Rose petals?

          " How can there be roses in the winter?" Oscar wondered. Oscar walked out of his room and found a water trail in the hallway leading to Ruby's room. He knocked on her door and.... no anwser. He knocked on the door again and still, no anwser.

          Oscar slowly opened the door to see Ruby still asleep. She was on the edge of her bed and looked like she could fall off in her sleep.

          Oscar chuckled as he walked over and kneel down next to Ruby. " Ruby. It's time to wake up." Oscar whispered as he shaked her a little. No response. " Ruuuuby." Oscar said shacking her a little bit more. Again, no response. " RUBY!!!!!" Oscar yelled as he continue to shake her.

          " I'M UP!!!!!" Ruby exclaimed as she jumped which cause her to fall off the bed head first and bonked her head on the floor.

" Oww." Ruby groaned.

" Sorry." Oscar apologized as he helped Ruby up.

" It's fine." Ruby said with a toothy grin.

'Too cute.' Oscar thought. " So uhh, Ruby?" Oscar said.

" Yeah?" Ruby anwsered.

" Do you know why there is a water trail that leads to your room?" Oscar asked.

Ruby hesitated before answering. " Uhh I.... was..... walking around outside because I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep." Ruby explained.

Oscar nodded. " Ok. That makes sense. Come on, let's go get some breakfast."

Ruby smiled weakly. " Ok."

The day went on as any normal day there on the farm. But during the day Ruby seemed a bit... off. She didn't seem as cheerful as she normally is. Oscar thought it was because of the nightmares Ruby always gets at night. But she seemed fine yesterday so something must have happened since then.

Oscar was walking around the snow covered farm for a while before something caught Oscar's eye. It was something red peeking out from the snow. He walked over to it and fished it out from the snow. He held it in his hand and discovered that it was a beautiful rose. Oscar was shocked because it was the middle of winter but flower looked like it just bloomed. He didn't know what to do with the flower but after a while of looking at the rose he got an idea.

Oscar walked around the fields and the house looking for Ruby, only to find her in the kitchen baking chocolate chip cookies. Figures. " Hey Ruby." Oscar said as he walked into the room.

" Oh! Hey Oscar." Ruby said looking at him and gave him a small smile. " What's up?"

" What's up is you." Oscar said with a worried look on his face.

" What do you mean?" Ruby asked.

" You were acting off all day, and I'm really worried." Oscar anwsered.

" Oscar I'm fine, really." Ruby said with a warm smile.

" Well... if you need to talk to anyone about anything Aunt Emily and I are here for you. We really do care about you." Oscar said holding the rose out to her.

" Aww, thank you Oscar." Ruby said accepting the rose. " I really care about you guys too." Ruby put the rose in her hair next to her ear and then pulled Oscar into a warm hug. Oscar was startled at first by Ruby's sudden affections but after a moment he returned the hug.

" Hey, do you want to help me finish the cookies?" Ruby asked as they pulled away from each other.

Oscar smiled. " Of course."

"