Silent Treatment

Something about the new kid bugged me. Maybe it was his attitude. Maybe it was his pompous way of walking around the center like he owned the place. Or maybe it was what he said in the music room yesterday.

I guess if I really cared who this guy was, I'd google him. But I didn't. I had other things to worry about in my life, more important than some jackass who thinks he's too cool to receive help.

"We keep running into each other."

I sighed as I looked up from my book to see the new guy smiling oddly at me.

"I'm Dylan," he introduced. He waited for me to say something, but I just stared at him.

"And you are?"

"She has an appointment she is running late to," Evan said suddenly appearing behind me, saving me. I nodded as I closed my book and walked towards my therapist's office. As I walked away, I could feel Dylan's eyes on me as Evan whispered something to him.

* * * * *

"Good morning, Adeline." Doctor Hailey smiled as I walked in. I nodded as I sat down in the chair across from her.

I started picking lint off my leggings as I waited for her to get my whiteboard and her notes ready. I looked up as she put the whiteboard and a purple marker on the coffee table in front of me. I grabbed them and immediately started spinning the marker in my hand.

"So, are you still having pains when you wake up?"

I uncapped the marker and started writing.

"Sometimes. I guess it depends on whether or not I drank enough water the night before."

"And did you drink enough last night?"

"Yes."

"Good," she smiled at me before writing something down in her notes. I wiped off the few sentences and started doodling in the corner.

"I see you are still wearing your scarf around your neck. Still trying to hide the scars."

I nodded, still not looking up from my doodling.

"You could try taking it off. At least around me or Evan. You know us and we know you. We would never judge you."

"It's your job not to." I held the board up for her, smiling teasingly. She cracked a smile as she laughed.

"That may be true," she chuckled. "But the other patients won't either. Have you tried to make any friends since the last time we spoke?"

I looked up at her and shook my head. "Honey," she sighed. "We agreed that you would try."

"Kind of hard to do that when I can't actually speak."

She gave me a knowing look before putting her notes in her lap, folding her hands over them. "You talk to me just fine. I keep telling you to take that whiteboard with you. I know Evan can read lips and facial expressions, but most people can't."

I just shrugged, going back to doodling. "Della," she said gently. I slowly looked up at her, biting my bottom lip. "I know it's hard. The accident made you lose your ability to speak. I understand how difficult it is, especially since you can no longer sing."

Tears threatened to stream down my cheeks as I quickly looked towards the door. That was my silent way of telling her if she kept talking about that, I was going to leave.

"Della," she sighed. "We need to discuss that sooner or later."

"I choose later." I wrote. I smiled cheekily as I held the whiteboard up.