Too Well For Too Long

The next week I went through the processes of getting ready to leave. I had to go through several tests to make sure I was okay to leave. My parents came and started the paperwork that takes 2-3 days to process. Jack and Jason came after school and helped me pack. As the week came to an end, it got more and more real.

"Let me guess, it just got real that you're leaving in two days."

I turned around to see Dylan in my doorway, his arms crossed as he leaned against the doorframe. "Maybe," I shrugged, making him laugh.

He walked into the room and wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me into his chest. "I can't imagine what you must be feeling," Dylan whispered.

I leaned my head against his chest, a sigh leaving my lips. "After a rollercoaster of a year, I'm finally going home. Home home. All the tests, appointments, therapy sessions, medicine trials, painful PT. I feel like all of this, not just me leaving Sunday morning, is a dream and I'm terrified I'm going to wake up."

Dylan pulled out of the hug, turned me around, and used his finger to make me look up at him. He smiled before leaning down and pressing a kiss to my lips. I instantly got lost in the kiss as our lips started moving in sync. Dylan was the first to pull away, a playful smirk on his face.

"Did that feel like a dream?" He teased.

"Little bit," I shrugged. Dylan smirked at me with a small laugh.

"I have an idea," Dylan said randomly. "What if I take you out on Saturday night to celebrate you going home? I know this local dance studio that holds open dance parties every weekend. It's not super crazy. Mainly just dancers who attend the studio, their families, and sometimes older couples who come to waltz. It could be fun."

I smiled as he reached up and scratched the back of his neck nervously. "That sounds like a lot of fun. We can make it into a whole night. We can get all dressed up, go to dinner before. It'll be really fun."

He let out a sigh of relief as he nodded along with my suggestions. Suddenly, the smile fell from his lips.

"You know nothing is going to change between us once you go home, right? I know I start filming my new movie soon, but I'm not going to drop you or forget about you or ignore you. We'll still talk every day, hang out around our schedules, go on dates where we outrun paparazzi," he said, making me laugh. "We'll still be. . ."

"Together?" I asked, finishing his sentence when he didn't.

"More than that," he said, shaking his head softly. "I know I haven't officially asked you yet, but I just figured we were already. . ."

"Already what?"

He hesitated before speaking up. "Will you be my girlfriend, officially?"

I couldn't stop the smile that formed on my lips. "Of course," I said, a small giggle escaping my lips.

Dylan smirked as he leaned down and pressed his lips to mine. I wrapped my arms around his neck as our lips moved in sync.

"Enough of that." We pulled apart and turned around to see Evan smirking at us from the doorway.

"Sorry," we said in sync as we stepped away from each other. Evan laughed as he walked into my room. His smile fell as he looked around at the boxes the movers my parents hired were supposed to come to pick up Sunday morning.

"Wow," he said under his breath. "I can't believe after all this time, you're leaving." He looked over at me, tears in his eyes. I smiled as I walked over and gave him a hug.

"Don't get me wrong," he said as he pulled out of the hug. "I'm happy you're better, but I'm a little sad you're leaving."

"And you say you don't pick favorites," Dylan joked.