Investigation

Dylan's POV

After hearing Della's story, I had a sick feeling in my stomach. I paced around my room, going over the details. A little over a year ago, Della was hit by a group of drunk college kids. She spent four months in the hospital, two months at home going to PT before she tried to end all of her pain, and has been here at the center for the past six months.

My heart sank into my stomach when I started comparing that to another timeline. My second strike happened a little over a year ago. My friends and I were leaving a party and we were completely wasted. We spent two weeks trying to get out of it. Thanks to one of my buddy's dad, we got out of it. At the court case whoever was in the car, wasn't there. I was the one driving.

I felt sick when I made the connection. It couldn't be. The world isn't that small. There is no way that it was the same accident. I'm not the one who hit Della and ruined her career.

I grabbed my phone and quickly started researching the two different accidents. My hands started to shake as I came across an article detailing Della's accident.

Young Vocal Legend Hospitalized

"Rumors are that Adeline Palmer, a rising vocal star, will never sing again due to a car accident. As she was driving home from one of her classes at Julliard, her car was hit. Police say that the other driver was intoxicated and leaving the popular Hollywood hangout, The Pegasus Club. Authorities are not able to admit the name of the individuals that were in the car that hit Miss Palmer."

I took a deep breath as I looked at the date on the article; May 23. With that in mind, I started researching my accident.

O'Brien Crashes. Again.

"The rising actor, Dylan O'Brien, was seen leaving his go-to club. Sources say he and his friends were drunk. No one knows for sure, but there are rumors of O'Brien and his friends causing an accident that night. But, news or reports of the accident got swept under the rug. Shocker."

That article was dated May 22, a whole day before Della's accident. Well, at least a whole day before that article was dated.

"Shit," I mumbled when I went back to the article about her. I scanned the sentences saying how much that drunk driver destroyed her life until I found what I was looking for.

"Miss Palmer's accident occurred last night, May 22nd."

I put my phone down, my breath quickly going out of control. "It's my fault," I whispered to no one. "Della's accident was my fault. I'm the drunk driver who crashed into her. I'm the driver who ruined her singing career."

I grabbed my phone and read the rest of the article about my accident.

"Although details of O'Brien's accident were swept under the rug, rumors are that a young woman was in the other car. When asked further confirmation about the young woman, Charles Jacobson claimed to have no comment as he hurried O'Brien out of the courthouse."

I put my phone down, my hands immediately started shaking as soon as they were empty. I looked around my room, struggling to breathe as I thought about all the pain Della's been through, all the pain I caused her.

How am I supposed to tell Della that I was the one driving the car that hit her? How can I tell her that it's my fault she'll never sing again?

I ran my hands through my hair as I paced back and forth across my room, debating what to say to Della. I had to tell her the truth.

Right?