five: don't wash your ass

The following days are a blur of potential roommates, all worse than the prior

The following days are a blur of potential roommates, all worse than the prior. With the end of the month luring closer, my desperation has reached a new level. If the prostitute called, I'd gladly give her my spare room.

Although it's Saturday afternoon, the summer heat, combined with my building apprehension, have me sweaty and miserable. A stroll through the city seemed like a good idea, but now I just want to get home. Maybe enjoy a drink to drown my sorrows. I walk toward the subway when a familiar figure catches my attention.

My mugger is sitting at a table outside a café with his head in his hands. There's a coffee cup beside his right elbow, and his duffel bag rests in the chair to his left.

Curiosity has me heading in his direction.

"Seth?"

His head lifts and those breathtaking dark orbs shoot a jolt down my spine. Noticing me, they downcast as he groans and pulls his wallet from his back pocket.

"I owe you fifteen bucks, I know," he grumbles, opening his wallet. My jaw plummets as he flips through a wad of cash before handing me a twenty. "Compensation for the loan."

Desperation is a powerful motivator and as I stare at the pot of gold in his hands, it wins over rationale. He may be a thief but out of the slew of potential tenants I've interviewed, he seems the most normal. Plus, he's wearing what appears to be a work uniform and has the funds to save me from my rent dilemma.

I snatch the twenty from his fingers. "Are you still searching for an apartment?"

His lips curve in amusement. "Finding a roommates not as easy as you thought it would be, is it?"

At his quip, I remember one of the reasons I'd initially declined his request. I spin on my heels, ready to leave him in my dust. "Nevermind. I had a momentary lapse in judgment."

"Wait," he calls out, making me halt. I turn to find him throwing his duffel strap over his shoulder. "I take it back. I need a place to stay and you need a roommate. Let's make it happen."

"What if I changed my mind?"

"Then you can go back to turning down every creep in New York and their miniature wildebeests. It's proving super effective."

I bite my tongue, keeping my vicious words locked tight. If rent wasn't due next Friday, I'd shoot him the bird and leave without wasting another minute, but I need him-and his cash.

My black stilettos click against the sidewalk as I return to his side. "Just answer one question first. The money in your wallet, is it stolen?"

"Nope. I'm a hard working citizen of New York again." He points to the Pepolino logo on his t-shirt as proof. "One without a dog."

His sleeve lifts to reveal a smudge of dirt on his bicep, drawing my attention to the rest of him. Dark circles crowd his eyes, he hasn't shaved since our last encounter, and he smells like he needs a shower. The lack of hygiene can be chalked up to work, but the rest has me wondering where he's spending his evenings. His duffel bag suggests it hasn't been anywhere permanent.