sixteen: don't want you

As Pictionary commences, it becomes obvious our designated teams of couples aren't working

As Pictionary commences, it becomes obvious our designated teams of couples aren't working. Despite our similar interests, Bill and I can't get on the same page. We're trailing in last place with five points. Marsha and Seth aren't doing much better with eight, and Rita and Troy are blowing us out of the water with seventeen. Troy's ability to depict anything within a matter of seconds isn't helping. The guy has serious talent and it shows in his drawings.

When Bill fails to guess the title of the movie I'm trying to portray with an expertly drawn-if I don't say so myself-apple in a calendar, Seth finally groans. "An apple a day keeps the doctor away."

Marsha slaps him on the shoulder. "Why can't you be that intuitive when I'm drawing?"

He takes a swig from his bottle of Yuengling. "Because your stick figures don't leave me much to work with."

"We need to switch up our teams," Troy interjects as I put the cap back onto my dry erase marker. "Marsha, you team up with Bill, and, Ellie, you go with Seth."

"Maybe then we'll have some decent competition," Rita says. The match up has taken priority over my set-up, apparently. I don't mind. Bill's nice and his hand constantly resting behind my back on the couch is calming, but it doesn't send my heartbeat fluttering into oblivion like I'd initially hoped. Besides, his eyes have been stealing glances at my bombshell all evening while mine have been doing the same with Seth. I think it's safe to say I'm out of the running with this one.

I settle into my new spot next to Seth. He looks at me and his right arm slips around my shoulder, tugging me against his side. Heat radiates from his body into mine and the satisfaction alighting his eyes gives my heart a jolt of that very emotion.

As his fingertips graze the hot flesh of my shoulder, lust rockets through my tummy, my breathing turning shallow. My fingers latch onto my knees.

This is where I'm supposed to be.

And by the way his eyes never once leave mine, I'm confident he's thinking the same thing. He licks his lips, dragging his tongue between them and asks, "Ready to kick some ass?"

With him as my partner, I am.

"Absolutely."

"Then let's do the damn thing."

He lifts from his seat and pulls a folded sheet from the basket, reading his phrase. Amusement stretches his cheeks as he sticks it into his pocket and uncaps the marker.

"Ready?" Rita asks, holding up the plastic hourglass timer.

Seth nods.

"Go."

He hurriedly draws an upside U and attaches it to a rectangle, and although the shapes are piss poor, I recognize the item immediately.

"Purse!"