eleven: don't fuck up royally

After changing from my work clothes into a loose t-shirt and shorts, I head to the common area, noticing Seth's room is darker than normal

After changing from my work clothes into a loose t-shirt and shorts, I head to the common area, noticing Seth's room is darker than normal. He's painted. I smile at the stone grey, realizing it's the first permanent mark he's made on the place. As much as having a roommate sucks, it's necessary, and the new paint signifies he won't be bolting in a few days, leaving me with a significant rent check I can no longer handle on my own.

Taking more steps, I also notice the new doorknob on the bathroom. Fantastic. If I need any repairs, I now have my own personal handyman.

I'm beaming when I breach the hallway's opening but linger when I hear Marsha and Seth talking.

"You're too close to my purse." Marsha clips, pausing a second before demanding, "Pass it over here."

I lift a hand to my mouth to stifle my laugh.

"I thought we were friends, Sunshine. I made you-and I quote-the best damn grilled cheese of your life."

"We were, until you outed me for spilling the beans on my best friend. Friends don't manipulate friends, Seth."

"It was all in good fun."

By his tone, it's clear he's mocking her and as much as I'm enjoying Marsha busting Seth's balls, I step out for the sake of his genitalia. "You two have been busy today."

Marsha's standing by my open bay window and Seth's lounging on the couch. Apparently his room isn't the only place he's made himself at home. He flicks his hand through the air. "Yeah. We played a few board games, braided each other's hair, gossiped about you. We're practically besties."

Marsha scoffs.

"You also painted your room and replaced the lock on the bathroom." I smile like a proud mother.

Seth nods. "That I did."

"Thank you."

He rises, placing his elbows on his knees. "Are you grateful enough to spare me from playing this game?"

I glance at my best friend, who is viciously shaking her head no, before shifting my gaze back to him. "Did Marsha help you with any of the work today?"

"Nope."

"My answer's the same."

Seth groans, flopping back onto the couch. Marsha takes it as her cue to get started.

"Alright ladies and gentleman, the game is Never Have I Ever and the rules are as follows -"

"Marsh, we all know how to play." Scooting Seth's legs over, I sit next to him on the couch. He's in my spot, but I let it slide. His knee settles against my thigh, blistering heat through my skin, but I ignore it. I also don't move away.

Marsha points a manicured finger my way. "Don't spoil this moment for me."

I lift my hands in defeat, internally laughing at her need to be the Bob Barker of our measly house game. "Go ahead then."