Fourteen: Respect. Really?

The brown teak door creaked open as Edward pushed them open. Rosaleen followed her brother inside the huge mansion that stood magnificently in front of her. The floor was fitted with white marble, the walls were high and the ceiling had various colors to like.

Just the way it used to be

Rosaleen gasped as some thing caught her attention... she saw the wall infront of her. She traced the ends of those four names. In big black cursive letters was written on the golden wall.

The Cláir household.
William
Evaleen
Edward & Rosaleen

And around it there were photographs. The same photographs. Photographs that were proof that she once had a perfect family. Hers, Ed's, mum's and dad's. Sound of familiar footsteps brought her back in the present time.

"My love "

Rosaleen turned and then came a beautiful woman in her vision. The woman she worshipped. Well once.!! Her definition of idealism. Her everything. She couldn't help but smile. No matter what had changed, she couldn't forget the fact that she did ask for it once and maybe she still does.

"Mumma"

Rosaleen studied her mother. It felt as if she hadn't aged a day. The same brown eyes, the same brown-blond hair, the same ravishing smile. She seemed like a ROYALTY. The lady flung her arms around her daughter's and closed her eyes.

"Oh my little love, I waited so much for this day. So much."

Rosaleen didn't know how to react. She didn't hug her back. Just stood there.

"Aren't you happy to see me?" Evaleen asked her daughter.

"I am, mother. It's just so new." Rose lied.

"Come on in. I built up this house just the way ours was when.... well. Except for the porch and few other things the house is just the same. I really wanted to make you feel home."

"Really mother? You replicated our old house. We must be rich." Rose asked sarcastically. She watched as her mother sat around the small table and left space for her daughter to sit but Rose chose to sit on the opposite side beside Edward.

"I see. My children have bonded over time." Evaleen said with a small smile

"Mother we made a decision." Edward almost blurted out. He was a bit scared of his mother. At the same time, he was a brave man too. He was powerful and this time things were not at sake instead his sister was. Evaleen had already served tea and motioned them to start drinking.

"And that is?" Evaleen's voice became grave all of a sudden.

"We are going to Chicago for a mid term course. Both of us." Rosaleen took a sip and informed.

"For how much time?" Evaleen seemed insecure as she nervously pressed her temples. The same way she used to do years ago.

"A month or two. Does it matter Mom?" Rose asked with disinterest. She continued just to cheer her mother for the time being "When I will return, then both of us will have long talks. I will bring my friends along." Rose thought that she never was rude to her Mom.

"I am happy you made friends." Rosaleen could feel the sarcasm though the tone was serious.

Years ago when she was a kid, she never could make friends. But there was something.... Some memory. Pain erupted in her head and Rosaleen looked back up. Her eyes slowly watering.

"Rosie! Rosie, what happened?" Edward rushed to her side.

"Unexplainable headache!" She replied. As the pain subsides, Rosaleen eyes bore into her mother's searching for something. Maybe She found it or she couldn't. She stood up abruptly.

"I will come back mother. And when I will, let's bond over the dead body of Dad's murder." Rosaleen smirked at the very thought. Edward could feel her mother's features transform. 

Evaleen stood up and walked slowly not breaking the eye contact with her daughter. "You have grown up fairly well, bold and beautiful." She stopped for a while and continued "Return and then let's discuss about numerous unexplainable events."

Rosaleen desperately wrapped her arms around her mother and hugged her tightly. "Please mother, better have the right reason for everything." She wispered quietly to her ownself and moved back and nodded towards Edward who gave a slight nod back and then they started walking towards the door.

"'Rosaleen!'" A motherly voice half yelled. Rose looked back. Evaleen stabilised her voice "Return home!"

A pair of green eyes nodded and kept waking till the figured disappeared from the vision.

》▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎¤M¤▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎《

Rosaleen smiled as she read the letter Caroline had written saying Let's part promising a return ticket.

Dear Rose,
This letter is the proof that you promise to come back safe and sound. I don't mind if the Rose who returns is a little crazy, smiles more and has fallen in love. Have lots of fun and be yourself.

PS Get a boyfriend
Love
Caroline

Rosaleen smiled even more as she saw another envelope with the name Damon on it. She read the letter Damon had written, or rather had been forced to write courtesy of Caroline.

Dearest Rosaleen,

Rose rolled her eyes. Dearest. She read again.

Dearest Rosaleen,
Give regards to that dickhead. Now let's talk serious stuff.
There is nothing that binds us, Rose. There is no relationship that defines us. But I know two things, I respect you. Yeah, it may sound lame but all these years you and only you I find worthy of respect. Secondly, I love you.
Love
Damon
A silent admirer. Well not so silent maybe.

A chuckle left Rosaleen mouth as she read the letter and then she touched the words I love you and then traced her fingers along admirer.

"Damon's is it? What does the letter say?" Edward asked curiously while he drove on some road towards their destination.

"Damon says he..."

"He–?"

"Respects me." She mumbled half truth.

》▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎¤M¤▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎《

Her heart is beautiful. But is it worth it? A beautiful heart can't subside that amount of darkness....