~If Only~

CHAPTER 9

CHAPTER 9

The next day Ben had found Gabby and asked her on a date. Gabby has found Mal but she really needed Evie so Gabby and Mal we're currently looking for her.
"There you are!" Gabby calls as she sees Evie sitting beside Doug. "I have been looking for you literally everywhere!"
"She has," Mal says in agreement.
"What's wrong?" Evie asks her.
"Ben just asked me out on..." Gabby answers before letting out a huff. "... a date."
"Nice," Doug says as Evie smiles.
"We can handle this. Bye," Evie says as they start walking back to the dorms. "You're looking a little pale."
"Yeah, of course," Gabby says.
"I can fix that with some gloss and some blush," Evie explains.
"No!" Gabby says.
"Gabby , I can use the..." Evie tries.
"No, no, no," Gabby argues. They got back to the dorms before Gabby was forced into a dress and Evie was doing makeup.
"Okay. Easy on the blush. I don't want to scare him away. Not that I could," Gabby says after what felt like the 100th brush stroke.
"Please. My mom taught me how to apply blush before I could talk. Always use upward strokes," Evie explains with a smile.
"My mom was never really big on makeup tips and all I have is a brother," Gabby explains before Evie started on the lip gloss.
"Well, now you both have a sister," Evie says as she looks between Mal and Gabby. "We're going to need all the family we can get If we don't pull this off. My mother's not a barrel of laughs when she doesn't get her way. Just ask snow white."
"Are you afraid of her?" Mal asks.
"Sometimes," Evie admits. "Are you afraid of your mom? And your father?"
"Extremely afraid of my father," Gabby answers. "I mean, he did try to kill Beast."
"I just really want her to be proud of me. She gets so angry with me when I disappoint her. And sh... yeah, she's my mom , so I know she loves me...In her own way," Mal explains.
"Moving on. Come see," Evie says as she brings Gabby over to the mirror.
"Oh," Gabby says with a laugh as she sees herself.
"I know," Evie says as she and Mal stand on either side of Gabby.
"I look..." Gabby starts.
"Say it," Mal says with a smile.
"Not hideous," Gabby finishes.
"Not even close," Evie says before she and Mal walk away. Gabby looks back in the mirror and realizes that it is Auradon that is making her this happy. There is a knock at the door before Mal and Evie hold back squeals. Gabby opens the door to find Ben on the other side holding two helmets.
"For the first time, I understand the difference between pretty and beautiful," Ben says causing Gabby to smile. "I hope you like bikes." Gabby takes one of the helmets from Ben before sending Mal and Evie a scared look. gabby holds onto Ben tightly as he takes them wherever they are going. They leave the bike behind before walking through the forest and onto a long rope bridge.
"Tell me something about yourself that you've never told anyone," Ben says as Gabby sways from side to side in front of him.
"Um... My middle name is Bella," Gabby tells him.
"Bella?" Ben asks seeing how the names don't really fit together and how close it was to his mom's name.
"Yeah. Bella. Just my dad doing what he does best. Being really, really evil. Plus he kinda never let go of your mom. So, Gabby Bella," Gabby explains with a laugh.
"Mine's Florian," Ben tells her causing her to giggle.
"Florian?" Gabby asks and he nods. "How princely. Oh, that's almost worse."
"I mean, you know, It's better than Bella," Ben teases causing Gabby to laugh. After they get off of the bridge Ben has Gabby close her eyes. "watch your foot. Now, step up. There you go." Ben helps her over a rock before pulling her in front of him. "You ready?" Gabby nods excitedly. "Open." Gabby lets out a gasp at how cute everything looked. Ben had set up a picnic for them. Gabby decided to eat a donut first. "Is this your first time?"
"Mm..." Gabby says as she licks her fingers. "We don't really date much on the island. It's more like... Gang activity. And with my dad being Gaston he approved of no one." Ben lets out a laugh causing Gabby to smile.
"Um, I meant, is this your first time eating a jelly donut?" Ben asks her.
"Is it bad?" Gabby asks embarrassed.
"You got a..." Ben says as he starts to wipe off her lips with his thumb. "Just a...I mean, yeah, do this." He has Gabby lick her lips.
"Gone?" Gabby asks and he nods. "You can't take me anywhere, I guess." They laugh before Ben turns a little serious.
"You know, I've done all the talking. Your turn. I really don't know that much about you. Tell me something," Ben says causing Gabby to slightly frown since she didn't know what to say and she didn't want to talk about her family.
"Well, I'm 16. And I've only ever lived in one place," Gabby tells him.
"Me, too. That... we have stuff in common already," Ben says causing Gabby to laugh.
"No. Trust me, we do not," Gabby says not wanting to get any further into that. "And now you're gonna be king."
"Yeah," Ben says before looking down.
"What?" Gabby asks him concerned.
"A crown doesn't make you a king," Ben tells her.
"Well, it kind of does," Gabby says causing Ben to smile.
"No, it... Your father tried to kill mine and I've got the poster parents for goodness. But we're not automatically like them. We get to choose who we're gonna be," Ben explains causing Gabby to frown slightly as he brings the conflicting feelings back to her mind. "And right now, I can look into your eyes and I can tell you're not evil. I can see it." Gabby looks at him slightly shocked and he smiles. "Let's go for a swim."
"Hm? What? Uh..." Gabby panics because she doesn't know how to swim. "Right now?"
"Yeah, right now," Ben answers as he starts unbuttoning his shirt.
"I think I'm just gonna stay here," Gabby says as she looks at the food.
"No, no, no. Come on," Ben says as he holds his hand out to her.
"I think I'm gonna stay behind and try a strawberry. I've literally never tried a strawberry before," Gabby says before she takes a bite. "Mm! Mm..."
"Don't eat all of them," Ben says with a chuckle.
"Okay," Gabby says as she grabs another. "Ooh! Mm." Gabby gets up when she sees Ben over on a cliff. "Are those little crowns on your shorts?"
"Maybe," Ben says causing Gabby to giggle. "Rawr! Whoo! Ha-ha!" Ben jumps into the water causing Gabby to laugh.
"A million thoughts
in my head
Should I let my heart
keep listenin'?
'Cause up till now
I've walked the line
Nothin' lost
but somethin' missin'
I can't decide
what's wrong, what's right
which way should I go?
If only I knew what my heart
was telling me
Don't know what I'm feeling
Is this just a dream?
Uh-Oh, yeah
If only I could read
the signs in front of me
I could find the way to
who I'm meant to be
uh-Oh
If only
Yeah
Am I crazy?
Maybe we could
Happen
Yeah, will you
still be with me
When the magic's
All run out?
If only I knew what my heart
was telling me
don't know what I'm feeling
is this just a dream?
Uh-Oh
If only
Yeah, If only
Yeah, If only
Yeah, If only
If only." Gabby sings as she fights with all of the conflicting feelings she has. She wanted to make her father proud but being with Ben and being in Auradon made her so happy. Gabby sits by the edge of the water before taking her shoes off and letting her feet touch the water. "Ben? Ben?" Gabby stands up as she looks for Ben. "Ben!" Gabby jumps into the water to start looking for him. Gabby gets too far out and starts to panic before she feels arms wrap around her and raise her out of the water. Ben carries her bridal style to shore.
"You scared me!" Gabby says as she hits Ben's shoulder after he sat her down.
"You... you can't swim?" Ben asks her confused.
"No!" Gabby tells him.
"You live on an island!" Ben says.
"Yeah, with a barrier around it, remember?" Gabby tells him. "Ugh!"
"And you still tried to save me," Ben says amazed.
"Yeah. And do you thank me? No! All I get is soaking wet!" Gabby says as she tries to straighten out her dress.
"And, uh, this fancy rock. It's yours," Ben says as he hands her a shining rock. "Make a wish and throw it back in the lake." Gabby throws it back into the lake before walking away from Ben. Ben chases after her before putting his letterman jacket around her shoulders. Gabby sits down as Ben dries off before joining her. Ben starts to play with Gabby's hair causing her to look at him.
"Uh, Gabby... I told you that I loved you," Ben says as Gabby shivers. "What about you? Do you love me?" Gabby looks away from Ben knowing she couldn't give him the answer he wanted.
"I don't know what love feels like," Gabby says with a sigh. Ben uses his thumb to turn Gabby's face back to him causing her to look at him slightly shocked.
"Maybe I can teach you," Ben says causing Gabby to slightly smile.