Chapter 28

"Last time, I didn't want to tell anyone because no one would believe me. If I told them that I regretted accepting the disbandment at that time, it would've sounded ridiculous so I kept my mouth shut. But... that doesn't matter anymore. It's a matter of life or death. What they think about this is no longer important." Chaeyoung raised her eyebrow. They were in Jeongyeon's room, facing each other quietly.

"Well. If you have nothing to say, then I'll get going." Chaeyoung walked by Jeongyeon, heading to the door.

"After the performance later," Jeongyeon turned around, "don't run away." Chaeyoung scoffed.

"What makes you think I'm gonna run away?"

"You've done it once, and I believe that it'll happen again."

"What the heck are you talking about, Jeongyeon? I've never ran away after a performance, not even once."

"No, not yet. But you did when we disbanded."

"What?" Chaeyoung's eyebrows furrowed. "Make it make sense. I don't understand a thing you're saying right now."

"You heard me right. On this day, you ran away after our disbandment stage and got shot."

"Are you perhaps... drunk?"

"Did you see me drink yesterday?" Jeongyeon sighed.

"Then why are you spouting nonsense like you came from the future or something?"

"Because I did." Jeongyeon looked her in the eyes. "The first time this happened, I had no clue about what was going on. I lost most of you, but I was given another chance and sent back to the past, this day, our disbandment day. But I was still clueless so I lost all 8 of you." She gripped Chaeyoung's shoulders.

"What the-"

"Chaeng, this is my last chance. I don't want to lose any of you. I'm not gonna let it happen anymore."

"Have you lost your mind? This is absurd, I'm leaving-" She turned around again but Jeongyeon grabbed her arm.

"The first time this happened, you got shot and you died! The second time, you still got shot but you didn't die... not yet, at least. Chaeyoung, can't you just listen to me and stay with us so that you'd be safe?" Chaeyoung turned her head. Jeongyeon was pleading her. The concern, sadness, and the pain in her eyes were evident.

"She's not lying." Chaeyoung thought. "But it's still too ridiculous for me to believe."

"For now, I'm not going to believe you." She shook Jeongyeon's hand off her arm and walked out of the room.

"Chaeyoung's the only one that should know for now. After the gunshot, I'll tell everyone else because I'd actually have evidence."

—————

Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung were exchanging looks after their conversation. Chaeyoung couldn't concentrate during their performance, she even blanked out during her speech.

"But what if... what Jeongyeon said is true? Then does that mean that I could really die today?" She stared into space before Mina nudged her.

"Oh- uh... 5 years was such a short time, wasn't it Once?"

"YEAH!" The onces started groaning and crying. Chaeyoung smiled sadly.

"We went through so much... didn't we? Well uh... the story that began 5 years ago eventually had to come to an end. But even though we've reached the end, we're still together, saying goodbye as NINE, not eight, seven, six, you get the idea, right? Even though I'm sad, I'm happy that I have... not twice, but Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Momo, Sana, Jihyo, Mina, Dahyun, and Tzuyu. And of course, you, Onces." She smiled. "Let's live happily, hm? Thank you!" She looked down as she passed the microphone to Mina.