Birthday

Dracos POV

     A quick glance at the date on the board told me it was June Fifth. Another glance had me remembering that it was my birthday. I was eighteen now- Legally old enough to apparate, to use magic outside of school, and to finally inherit the Malfoy fortune. However, I didn't feel ecstatic as most did when they reached adulthood. I felt robbed.

     Where was my childhood? Spent under the Crucio? Watching your father be carted away to Azkaban while your mother was bleeding out behind you? No one rushed to save a death eater, so she died while the Ministry squandered the opportunity to save her. She died in misery, on the cold, cracked cement, crying for my father and I to help her. I sighed and sat up, rubbing my eyes as I got ready for the day.

     I was eighteen. No doubt an owl would fly in, telling me to confirm my position as the Malfoy heir and have me sign a dozen papers to accept the responsibilities of being a Malfoy. I hadn't even officially ended my seventh year, instead continuing the next as my eighth. I sighed miserably, walking out into the Slytherin common rooms.

     "Draco, someone left you a present!" Pansy sang, tossing me a small box with the words 'Draco Malfoy' written on a piece of parchment attached to the box. I frowned.

     "Who's it from?"

     "I dunno. Was waiting on the table for you. Probably one of the little Slytherin girls who have a crush on you."

     I grimaced. "Great."

     "Cheer up love, it might not be. Open it!"

     Hesitantly, I pulled off the top of the simple white box, expecting some sort of love potion to explode all over me. However, when nothing exploded into chaos, I frowned and pulled the box closer to me, looking inside.

     Inside the box was a small golden ball- A snitch. My mouth nearly dropped open. Engraved on the gold was my full name, Draco Lucius Malfoy, obviously custom made. Upon picking up the object, it spurred to life, whirring while its wings sprung open, fluttering around my head and getting me to smile when it landed in my palm among a short whistle, folding back into itself.

     "Woah, those are expensive!" Pansy whistled, looking over it in awe. "Is there a name?"

     Looking back into the box, I found a small note. On it, it read 'Happy Birthday. Had to pull a few strings to get it but look in the bottom of the box.' Frowning, I removed some tissue paper and immediately felt like crying.

     My mothers amulet, which was locked away at the ministry upon her death. They wouldn't let me keep anything, and said that it would never be let out since it had 'Black Magic Involvement', though it was merely a charm to send the best memories of the owner to them in times of need. Since she had reached up and grabbed it before she died, they must have thought it was to call more death eaters.

     "Is that... Oh, Draco..." Pansy hugged me tightly, her eyes wide. "Wow. That's... Incredible. Who could possibly sway the ministry?"

     "I-I don't know. Whoever it is, I need to thank them."

     Putting the snitch and amulet back in the box, I tucked it under my arm and rushed for the portrait guarding our house dorms and commons. "Do you know who came in this morning or last night with this box?" I asked, holding up the box in front of him. The portrait snorting in disgust.

     "That awful Gryffindor boy bothered me at three in the morning to drop it off. Completely threw off my sleep schedule."

     "Yes yes, but who was it?" I pried, looking up at him desperately.

     He saw my expression and sighed. "He made me promise not to tell, but I can tell you need to know. The boy was Harry Potter."

     I blinked. I wanted to deny it, but it made sense. Potter had a lot of money, and he's the only one who could possibly sway the ministry into giving them an object they thought held black magic.

     I turned on my heels and immediately ran for the dining hall.

     As soon as I burst through the doors, I headed directly for the Gryffindor table. I locked eyes with Weasley, who looked angry, Granger, who looked confused, and Potter, who looked horrified.

     He ducked his head down and pretended to not notice me as I stood behind him, my arms crossed. "Potter, care you explain why you left me gifts at three in the morning?"

     "I- Well, it's... Uhm, it's your birthday," Potter stumbled awkwardly, looking embarrassed while Weasley looked outraged.

     "You gave the ferret a gift!?"

     Harry glared and slapped Weasleys arm. "Shut up. I got you something. And Mione, and-"

      "Yeah, Harry, but we're your frie-"

     Harry waved his hand, wandlessly and wordlessly shutting the weasel up. I couldn't help but feel like smirking. "He wouldn't have gotten what I gave him without my help, for corrupted reasons, but I didn't think... Well, I don't think he deserves to have such a personal possession taken away. That's all." Harry huffed and turned away, glaring at his plate.

     I opened and closed my mouth a few times, before finally managing to force out a hoarse "thank you, Potter. This means a lot."

     He looked shocked as he turned to fully face me for the first time, his green eyes flashing with confusion, and I quickly looked away to blink the threat of tears out of my eyes, taking a shaky breath. "I don't believe you know what you've done for me, Potter."

     "I know it was... It was Narcissas," Harry whispered after a hesitated silence.

     I paused, pursing my lips, then ushered Ron away so I could half-sit next to Harry, taking the amulet and clutching it in my palm, muttering the charm before holding it out in front of me, where a holographic screen was portrayed. The first memory was of my mother and I, laughing and giggling as we ran away from my father, running through meadows. The next memory was me, still at a very youngage, helping my mother in the garden. Before much else could show, I clasped it shut. "It shows your best memories. It's a one of a kind heirloom, and it only works for the Malfoy bloodline. The ministry assumed it was black magic, but my mother was simply reviewing memories before she passed. So you, Potter, have allowed my entire families memories to be passed onto me, instead of rusting away in a vault. So I'm very... Well, I'm very appreciative."

     I pursed my lips as tears came to my eyes and I went to stand, but Harry grabbed my sleeve. "You don't have to leave." His voice was so quiet I could barely hear it- yet it was also a thundering noise that echoed in my ears.

     "I-I should th-" my sentence was cut off by a soft gasp as Harry encircled me in his arms, holding me close in a tight embrace.

     "You shouldn't have to leave. You're allowed to feel, Malfoy."

     I swallowed, my voice choking up and tears blurring my vision. I tried to say his name but my voice cracked in the middle, and for some reason he just held me tighter. And I broke down.

     I broke down into Harry Potters arms, crying gross, hiccupping sobs, but he didn't push me away or call me a disgrace- he held me tighter, and didn't push me away when I went to hug him back. So I sobbed into the wizarding worlds savior's shoulder, unable to stop myself for several minutes, before pulling away and hiding my face, still crying and trembling awful.

     I heard a growl and the silence around us quickly died out, the noise of silverware and people talking about any subject other than Harry or me or anything related to that. I froze slightly when I felt a hand at my back, slowly wrapping around my waist and pulling me closer to the warmth of the boy next go me. There was a soft whisper right next to my ear, asking if I was okay. I nodded, but the hold on my side didn't leave. If anything, he held me closer. "You don't have to hide anymore, Malfoy."

     I guess my birthday doesn't have to be so bad- especially considering that it's the same day as my anniversary with Harry. Always look for the positives in life, no matter what's happening, and you will receive a positive outcome.

Drarry One-ShotsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara