Peace

I woke up hearing a slight beep from a monitor and the smell of stale cleaner and a rush of cold air.
"You should've seen it." I heard Jules say. "she just punched the glass and it shattered so easily."
"Adrenaline can do that, she saved your life." I heard Milo's voice. I slowly opened my eyes to see them both sitting next to each other by the window of the room.
"Hmm?" my mouth couldn't form words yet, I tried hard to pronounce their names in my groggy state.
Jules came to my side and adjusted the hospital bed gently, "Hey, (y/n)." she took my hand as the bed raised so I could meet her eyes.
"What happened?" I asked.
"Marcus broke your arm when he threw you against the wall, not including the gashes you have from punching out your basement window."
My arm started to feel stiff and I looked over to see it was in a sling and cast, "Where's Ben?"
"He's at school straightening up this mess with the principal and superintendent."
"And Marcus?"
"He's been arrested, (y/n). you don't have to worry about him any more."
A weight lifted from my chest, he was gone? I couldn't fathom it for a second, I started to tear up. "Promise?"
"Yes, (y/n). He cant hurt you anymore."
"Oh thank God." I sat up and hugged her, trying to stop from crying. Jules hugged me tight, "Shh. Its okay. Ben is coming soon to take us home."
It was over, I endured so much and I finally pushed through all of the pain that guy caused me. I was so incredibly happy, I don't think I ever felt this content in my whole life. It felt like I was bestowed a peace that only heaven could give, "Thank you."
"For what?" Jules asked.
"For helping me. If it weren't for you and your uncle, who knows what would've happened to me."
"I should be thanking you. I never seen anyone act on such impulse before for me. You saved my life."
"That's what friends are for."
Ben knocked on the door and all of us looked towards his direction, "May I have a moment alone with (y/n)?"
Jules nodded and she led Milo out. Ben approached me and sat on the opposite side of the bed, "How are you feeling?" he asked me.
"Ecstatic."
"Oh? Why is that?" he asked a little surprised.
"Its all over, finally. I'm so happy I don't have to deal with this guy anymore."
Ben looked at me with compassion and concern, "Well, I talked to the superintendent. He's agreed to remove the suspension and he fired Rinehart."
"Could this day get any better?"
"Don't celebrate just yet. The Superintendent also pulled up my records and saw that I was accused of being romantically involved with Maria. He said if I do not have any evidence to counter it, he will have no other choice but to fire me as well...so I admitted it."
"Oh, Ben. I'm so sorry."
"I'm not ashamed of what I did for her. If I lose my job over it, then that's okay. I know the truth."
"But, she was nineteen too wasn't she?"
"Yes. He understands why I did it, he just doesn't want to risk the reputation of the school."
"What are you going to do now?" I took his hand and he smiled stroking my soft skin. He shrugged, "I don't know. Maybe go back into school for social services or something."
"Sounds good. You do like being a bit of a hero."
Ben laughed, "Yeah, I do. I want to make sure that there is no repeat of what happened to Maria."
"I don't think Maria killed herself."
"Neither do I." he laid next to me.
"ugh."
"What?"
"What am I going to do at school without you?"
"You'll do fine, you wont be alone at all either. Jules will be in all your classes."
I looked up at him, completely amazed, "I think I love you." I laid a hand on his cheek and he smiled, "You think?"
"Hang on." I took him by surprise and kissed him. "Nope, I'm sure."
He laughed and held me close, "I love you too my dear." he kissed me and stood up, "Come along dear, lets take you home."
"My home? Do my parents know about all of this?" Ben nodded and helped me off the bed. "I'm going to have some explaining to do..."
"Yes, you will." he draped his coat over me and put on my shoes, "You wont be doing it alone though." he took my hand, as we left the hospital it felt as if I had left my old life behind. I was brand new.
THE END.