twenty

The group disembarked the ship, following closely behind Mike. As soon as they made it to the sandy shores, they were stopped by several women wearing silvery cloaks and their hair in matching braids.

"Welcome home," one said to Mike, though she didn't look as though she was happy about it. "Why are you accompanied by people who didn't leave with you?"

"They needed to get away from Divisus," Mike said, standing protectively in front of the others.

"We can't take in refugees. You know that."

"I was one," Mike said, lifting his sleeve and revealing his arrow tattoo.

Richie, Stan, and Bev exchanged shocked looks. They hadn't known that. Richie looked over at Eddie, who didn't seem surprised at all.
He had already known.

"Yes, but you were willing to work and become a part of us. You were raised here. They were not."

Mike sighed. "If they go back, they will be executed for what they've done."

The lead of the warriors narrowed her eyes. "Why would they be executed?" she asked, eyeing the small group.

"They're part of the Tenebrian rebels, and they have reason to believe the Lucantians are going to try to wipe out the whole of their people. Please, we have to help them. They think some of our passed supplies might be being used to help wipe out the Tenebrians! We aren't heartless," Mike argued, grabbing Stan's arm to show them the spade mark on his wrist.

The lead warrior sighed. "They're all Tenebrian?" she asked.

Eddie shook his head. "I'm not, but I believe in their cause," he said, showing the mark on his arm.

The leader narrowed her eyes and nodded to two of her warriors who grabbed Eddie. "Take him to the others. A Lucantian is not going to be a part of any conversation we have."

"Don't fucking touch him!" Richie snapped, grabbing Eddie's arm and pulling him toward himself. "He's more Tenebrian than Lucantian."

"If you don't hand him over to us, you'll be locked away as well," the leader responded calmly, walking toward Richie who had his arms locked around Eddie.

"Let go, Richie," Eddie scolded. "I don't need your protection."

Richie glared at Eddie as he made his way over to the guards Richie had pulled him away from. They lead him toward a large wooden gate, disappearing behind it.

"As for the rest of you-"

"There's also a hostage on the ship," Mike cut off, nodding toward the vessel. "He attacked the Lucantian and tried to kill him. He's dangerous."

The lead warrior nodded. "Lily, Tia, go deal with him. I'll lead the rest of you to our king," she said, walking away with the others following her.

"What're you going to do with Eddie?" Richie asked, glaring at the warrior.

"Keep him in a cell until we know we can trust him. Usually we'd take your word that he's not a traitor, but two Lucantians showed up on another ship three days ago so we're not overly trustworthy," she responded.

They were lead through the main gates to a village surrounded by the walls for protection. Mike informed them that dragons and other dangerous creatures lurked around and it was easier to protect themselves if they had to go over a fence to get in.

"You guys have dragons on Pona?" Stan asked in awe. He knew they existed, but they'd all been chased from Divisus, otherwise killed and their skin used for clothing.