thirty eight

Eddie didn't even know how Iris had been brought down. She had venom in her fangs and an extremely stubborn behavior. Yet, they'd both been taken down.

When they hit the ground, Eddie tried to run. He saw Bev, Stan, and Mike watching from the trees in horror and a Lucantian guard grabbed Eddie, forcing him to reveal the mark on his arm.

Stan leapt out from the trees and threw a knife, hitting one of the guards. It didn't kill him, but definitely caught the attention of the others. They ran off after the three, taking Stan down, but unable to catch Bev and Mike, who knew they wouldn't be able to save their friends.

"Don't hurt him!" Eddie screamed, knowing how much danger Stan would be in.

"Don't worry," one of the guards said in a dark voice. "Klais wants to do it himself."

That was all the information Eddie was given before he was hit across the head and fell unconscious.

When he finally came to, Eddie realized he was in a room, and it took a quick look over to realize he was on a ship. It wasn't a bad place, but Eddie felt no comfort. Being on a ship and having none of his friends in the room with him meant he was on his way back to Luceat.

Eddie stood up and walked over to the door, not surprised to find it was locked. He slammed his hands on it irritably, trying to get out.

"Hey! Open the fucking door!" he yelled, kicking it and trying to escape.

After being stuck along Tenebrians and being forced to toughen up for a few months, Eddie wasn't afraid. He didn't care who walked into the room; he was ready to fight his way out.

That was, until the door opened.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Eddie asked, instinctively backing away and looking around wildly for something to defend himself.

Henry laughed darkly, shutting the door behind him. "I used to hate Klais and Luceat, you know?" he asked, sitting down on the bed in the room. "Times change."

"You're a traitor," Eddie hissed, his eyes darting to Henry's arm.

There was an arrow where his spade used to be.

"And you're not?"

"At least I'm on the right side of things! They are going to kill all of the Tenebrians!" Eddie yelled, angrier than he was afraid.

"If there's one thing I've learned from Tenebris, it's every man for themselves, kid. I give information and pledge allegiance to our leader, and I'm promised a comfortable life in Luceat," Henry said, scratching his new arrow, smirking at Eddie.

Eddie glared at him. "You're psychotic."

"And? I'm doing what I have to in order to survive. It's nothing personal."

"What are you going to do to me?" Eddie asked, feeling even more panicked.

Henry laughed. "Nothing. I've had my fun with you," he said, earning a dark glare from Eddie. "I just wanted to be the one to tell you that we know Richie's going to come after you, and I've made sure that you'll watch his execution. His, Stan's and Bev's. Maybe the Ponanian's too, since he never showed any promise to Luceat."

Eddie dove at Henry, punching him in the face. "You son of a bitch! You're a fucking psychopath and I swear to god-"

He was cut off by Henry closing his fist around Eddie's neck.

"You can't do anything. Only reason they won't hurt you or the other traitors is because of your parents. I can't wait to see how you'll look when Richie dies. Good riddance to him," he said in a harsh voice, pushing Eddie onto the ground before leaving the room.

Eddie yelled out in anger. Every single injury that he'd been given from Henry seemed to throb, from the faint scar on his chest to the marks on his hips. He slammed his foot into the door, but it ended up throbbing in pain from the force he exerted.

After a while the angry yells turned to sobs. Everyone on that ship would be aware that Richie would come after him. He cried into his pillow, feeling disgusted and his head throbbing from dehydration.

A guard had brought food, but Eddie couldn't find it in himself to eat. He was too exhausted from sobbing and too heartsick to eat. It was as if the further he got from Richie, the sicker he felt.

A guard had to check on him every hour to make sure he hadn't tried to kill himself or found a way to escape. It was the middle of the night when another guard walked in and Eddie finally spoke.

"Can I see St- uh, the Tenebrian prisoner? I don't care if you chain me up or whatever, can I please see him?" Eddie asked weakly, aware of the dried tear stains and an overall exhaustion-caused disgusting grime covering his face.

The guard looked like he wanted to say no, but Eddie forced a sob that made him nod stiffly.

Eddie stood up and let the guard cuff his arms and show him to the dungeons. It infuriated Eddie that Stan had to stay in the dungeon while he got to stay in a nice room, but he knew that he should've be surprised. Lucantians would never change unless they knew the truth about Tenebris.

Stan was awake, laying on his back on the wooden board that would be his bed until they reached their destination. He looked up when he heard footsteps approaching, glaring at the guard.

Eddie stepped out from behind the guard and smiled at Stan. He was un-cuffed and allowed in the cell with Stan, being told they had an hour to talk.

"Are you okay?" Eddie asked, panicked.

There were marks all over Stan's arms leading up to where his shirt was. Eddie wasn't surprised that Stan had been beaten, but it was worse to have to see the results of the abuse.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Stan said, wincing as he moved. "Richie's probably not doing as well as I am."

"What? Why?" Eddie asked, panicking even more.

Stan chuckled humorlessly. "I mean, he's probably losing his shit right now. He's without his boyfriend and one of his closest friends. He's fine right now, but if what that fucking traitor says is true-"

"So he came to see you too?"

Stan's eyes widened. "He didn't do anything to you, did he?!" he asked, knowing Richie would lose his shit and go on a killing spree if anything bad happened to Eddie.

Eddie shook his head. "I'm alright, Stan. He just talked about murdering you and all of our friends," he said, rolling his eyes.

Stan sighed. "We need to stop them. I don't know how, but we need to."

"I know. Any idea where we're going?"

"Pona. I heard a guard say it. Klais is there and so is the council. At least Cassie will be there and we can try to pass information."

Eddie shook his head. "Nothing good will be waiting for us. Cassie or not, where we're going, we're going to be screwed either way."

Stan sighed. "I hope for everyone's sake that Richie can't get off Konilla."

"You and me both."