thirty one

Seconds after settling on the deck, Mike said they should probably go to one of the cabins if any enemies would see them. Everyone obeyed, including Bill and Ben, since they knew they didn't have any other options besides being locked in the dungeons.

Once they had all sat down in the lower deck where shipments were stored, Mike began to lead their conversation.

"The trip to Konilla will take roughly a month. It's the furthest place from any of the other land masses," Mike said, rolling out a map and circling Konilla.

"Is it a good idea to go then?" Richie demanded from his spot against the wall of the ship, Eddie sat between his legs and resting on his chest. "By that time Klais could murder the whole of Tenebris."

"Cassie sent me a note," Mike said, tossing it to Eddie, asking him to read it aloud.

"Dear Mike,

Klais has murdered the king. I am next in line due to my status as the lead of the warriors, so forgive me for not coming with you as you flee. I assume you'll be leaving. I highly suggest you go to Konilla. I know it's terrifying, since Klais has been threatening Tenebris, but he won't be able to do anything until they find the Lucantians with you. His council refuses to do anything until they're found, as they're the children of members. Get back-up and find out what Klais has planned. I doubt the Lucantians know anything more, so I suggest you have Richie's dragon send word to the Tenebrians so they aren't in the dark. Have their rebellion do something. I'll be in touch.

Best of luck,

Cassie

There was a tense silence when Eddie finished reading, until Ben broke it. He hadn't spoken much since he had been integrated with the Tenebrians, so it drew the attention of the others.

"What's the plan? I assume if you can find a quick way to send letters the Tenebrian rebellion will be able to protect themselves. It'll be hard to arm them, but-"

Bill cut him off. "Are you c-cr-crazy?! You're s-siding with them too?" he asked in shock, glaring at Ben.

"Klais murdered their king and plans to kill off the Tenebrians! How can you side with Luceat?" Ben shot back, scooting closer to Bev and Stan.

Bill grumbled under his breath but was quiet otherwise.

"We can't arm them, but we can send a warning," Mike said. "Divisus and Konilla don't work together, but Pona does. They're allies of ours and I hope they'll be willing to help."

"Is it safe to send Iris alone?" Richie asked, worried for the well-being of his dragon, who wasn't even in the room.

"She's smart and it's better if she can't be associated with us," Stan said. "Is there any paper?"

Mike pointed him in the direction of the papers , and Stan soon reemerged with a paper and a pen, before scribbling a note to his mother, father, and the rest of the rebellion.

Eddie watched as he laid back against Richie. He and Ben helped Stan with the spelling, since most of the Tenebrian knowledge was self taught. They could read and write, but most of it was broken and hard to understand. Besides, their minds were never on writing or reading. It was all survival.

After they finished the letter, Eddie and Richie went to the top deck where Iris laid, sleeping peacefully.

She woke up as soon as she recognized Richie and Eddie, purring and walking over to the pair, silently begging them to pet her.

Richie ran his hand down her back, smiling brightly at the dragon. "I've got a task for you," he said, holding up the note.

Iris sniffed the letter and allowed Richie to tie it to her leg.

"Deliver this to Tenebris. Get it to my mom. She can deliver it the rest of the way," Richie said, holding up the jacket for Iris to smell.

She would be able to pick up the scent once she got to Tenebris, and it was clear that she understood. After Iris had flown off, Richie handed the jacket back to Eddie, who had begun to shiver.

"She'll be okay," Eddie said once he'd put the jacket back on. It was freezing out, due to the wind. It didn't matter that the sun was out.

"I know. I'm not worried about her."

"What're you worried about then? I can feel the stress radiating off of you."

Richie laughed and wrapped an arm around Eddie's shoulders. "I'm okay. I'm just worried about my mom. I feel bad for leaving her."

"I thought you said the goal of Tenebris was to leave? Shouldn't she be proud of you?"

"No, that's not what I meant." Richie sighed and grabbed Eddie's hand, taking him back to their shared cabin. He started to pace the room while Eddie sat on the bed, waiting for him to talk. "She took me in when I had nothing. Without her, I'd be dead. She did shit no one should have to do in order to get the money and supplies necessary to keep myself and her alive. Now, without me, I don't know how she'll make money. I'm so worried about her."

Richie continued to pace and rant, Eddie sitting and watching him. There wasn't much he could say, so Eddie decided to let Richie rant it all out. There was no point in trying to stop him or calm him down, since he was so stressed and worked up.

After quite a bit of talking and some yelling, Richie collapsed onto the bed, closing his eyes and covering his face with a pillow.

"What are you doing?" Eddie asked, lifting the pillow off of Richie's face.

"Wallowing in self pity before I have to get up and be a normal person," Richie responded, his eyes still closed.

Eddie helped Richie to shift so that his head was resting in Eddie's lap. Richie kept his eyes closed and allowed Eddie to run his fingers through his hair, soothing him to sleep. After a while, there was a knock at their door.

"Come in," Eddie called, not willing to move and wake Richie up.

Bill entered the room and grimaced at the sight before him, then shook his head and sat at the desk in the room.

"If you don't have something nice to say, fuck off," Eddie snapped, almost smiling at the black eye his brother was sporting.

"I'm s-sorry, Eddie. I sh-shouldn't have treated you or th-the Tenebrians like I did. I w-was scared, you know?" Bill said, and Eddie could hear the genuine tone.

Eddie smiled softly. "It's not me you have to apologize to," he said, gesturing toward Richie.

"I know. I've al-already talked to S-Stan and Beverly. They w-were both upset but f-f-forgave me."

"You were horrible to him," Eddie said, knowing that Richie had gotten the worst treatment. "You made him feel like nothing, Bill. He's been so mistreated his whole life, and I know you feel like shit, but you deserve it. Talk to him when he wakes up, but I don't guarantee he'll forgive you."

Bill nodded, his face red with embarrassment. "Okay, Ed-Eddie. Thank y-y-you."

With that, Bill stood and left the room, leaving Eddie feeling satisfied and confident that he'd soon have a brother who wasn't blinded by what he'd been taught.