fifty eight

Everything was in chaos. The Lucantians were running around with their weapons, the rebels surrounding the forest leaping out.

Richie and Eddie remained on the back of the dragon, having it go for the others and take their control devices off. Once they got another, Eddie leapt on its back, trying to work from above and keep his allies alive.

There were yells, falling bodies, and metal on metal as weapons clashed.

"We need to take out Klais!" Richie yelled at Eddie, both airborne and dodging the weapons thrown at them.

"Let's block off the Lucantians and drop a bomb, then!" Eddie called back, urging his steed to let out a blaze, saving a Tenebrian from a brutal stab wound.

"Richie!" someone screamed.

Both looked down to see Bev and Stan, holding extra weapons. Once they knew the pair was paying attention, they were each thrown a spear.

"Let's get to the ground and give Ponanians the dragons," Eddie said, already heading toward the ground.

Richie didn't want Eddie to be at risk, but he knew he couldn't tell him what to do. They were both in practice and they were fighters; Richie knew Eddie would be okay.

Hopefully.

They landed so Cassie and one of her warriors could board the scaly beasts.

"We'll try to cut off any Lucanitan escape," Cassie said, taking off.

Richie nodded, holding his spear up. He and Eddie ran to where Bev and Stan were fighting, the four fighting facing away from each other.

"Hey, you have my bag, right?" Richie asked Eddie, stabbing an enemy in the chest and watching him fall.

Eddie turned, bewildered. "Yes, why is that important?" he asked, ducking so Bev could finish off another guard. He grabbed the weapon, which was much sharper than his.

Richie did the same, now holding a razor sharp sword. "Can I have my bag?" he asked, watching as more guards ran at them.

Eddie tossed it to him, turning and cutting the arm off an enemy looking to execute Stan. "Why is that important right now? We are literally in the middle of a war, Rich," he said, allowing Stan to thrust his sword into the neck of his fighter.

"I have a question and need something in here to ask it," Richie said, working to open his bag and fight at the same time.

"Can't it wait until after this?" Eddie asked, struggling against a warrior much bigger than him.

Richie turned to face him, assisting him in his fight. Once the warrior had fallen, he grabbed the box out of the bag.

"Well, if there's one thing I've learned from the bullshit that has been this journey, it's that you never know what'll happen next," Richie said, kissing Eddie's forehead while stabbing another guard in the eye. "And, we could be dead in two minutes for all we know. So, if I don't ask this question now, I'll regret it even in death."

Eddie flipped around behind Richie and barely saved him from getting stabbed in the back. "Can you make it quick then?" he asked, beginning to duel with an ambidextrous warrior, a sword in each of his hands.

Richie nodded, assisting Eddie in the duel with the skilled guard. Once they had killed him, Richie handed Eddie his sword and dropped to his knee, opening the box.

"Will you marry me?" he asked, revealing a golden band with a diamond built into the ring.

Eddie's jaw dropped as he raised his sword to kill another guard sprinting at Bev. "Seriously?" he asked, dropping down to make eye contact with Richie.

"I mean, unless you don't want to? Then I'll say it's a joke?" Richie said nervously, looking around and realized there were more guards coming at them.

Eddie lunges forward and passionately kissed Richie as Bev and Stan held off the guards so they could have their moment.

"Of course! Oh my god, holy fuck, we're going to get married!" Eddie exclaimed as Richie put the ring on his finger.

"Can you two celebrate after we've won this battle?" Stan snapped, stabbing a guard and barely avoiding being killed himself.

Eddie pulled Richie up and tossed him his sword, the pair preparing for their continued fight. They had the upper hand, but the Lucantians were still fighting without standing down. Klais was surprisingly a skilled swordsman, having killed several Ponanian and Tenebrian fighters.

The Konillians and their bonds were brave and powerful, unable to be stopped.

"How many dragons do they still have?" Richie called, looking around at the insane and controlled beasts.

"Two!" Eddie yelled.

Then, something his him and he was knocked over onto his back. He looked up in time to see Eclipse, eyes narrowed in hatred, looking to kill him. The control device was attached to his back, and Eddie couldn't pull it off.

"Make that three?" Richie asked, watching with amusement as the small dragon tried to attack Eddie, but was unable to do much damage.

"Fuck off and take the damned device off his back!" Eddie snapped, watching as Richie tore off the device.

Eclipse looked dazed for a second, before he blinked and suddenly realized who he was on. He purred loudly and cuddled into Eddie's chest before taking flight. Once Eddie stood up, Eclipse landed on his shoulder, growling at the attackers.

"Go get the feral dragons' devices off," Eddie ordered, watching his bonded dragon take flight.

"I bet you're glad you kept him around," Richie said with a laugh, smiling when he realized that only around fifty Lucanitans were left, whereas there were nearly one hundred rebels.

"Fuck off," Eddie said with a grin, kissing Richie on the lips.

The Lucanitans began to form a human barricade around Klais, trying to fight against the countless rebels walking toward them. They all clashed, fighting their way in.

After an hour, there were very few Lucantians left to defend.

"Give it up, Klais!" Richie yelled, watching as the leader carried a spear. "You won't win!"

Klais glared at him, knowing he was right. He lifted his spear, aiming it at Richie.

Before Richie could react, the spear was released, aimed for his heart. He closed his eyes, knowing he was going to die by Klais' hand, but the pain never could. He slowly opened his eyes, and his heart dropped when he saw who the spear hit.

"Mom?" he asked, kneeling down as Maggie laid on the ground, the spear buried in her stomach.