Chapter seventeen

"I am here to live out loud."

¬Emile Zola

3 years ago

Abby and Ashlyn giggled as they got out of Abby's dad's car. Their excitement to start Junior Year had overtaken every other thing in their mind and hadn't bothered to say goodbye.

"We have to get boyfriends this year," Ashlyn squealed, "It'll definitely be one of the highlights of the year."

"OMG, Lyn," Abby laughed in reply, "I don't think that should be our focus. We have SATs this school year and we have to start looking at colleges."

"All I hear from your mouth is blah blah blah," Ashlyn said, pulling Abby towards their lockers. "How lucky are we; we always get lockers next to each other."

Abby rolled her eyes at her best friend, "that's cause we always ask for them."

"Well, this year we have a lot of different classes," Lyn sulked.

Abby closed her locker and leaned against it, "do you know you're really extra? You're going to be staying at my place for the next two weeks till your parents get back from China."

"And I couldn't be happier!" Ashlyn laughed, refusing to let Abby bring her down.

"Who's that?"

"Who's who?" Lyn asked, turning to look in the direction Abby was staring. "Oh my, he's so cute."

The boy looked up at them causing Abby to spin around fast. "No need to shout, Ashlyn," she hissed out.

Ashlyn laughed at her reaction, "he's coming this way..."

"Lying is a bad habit."

"I'm not lying," she whispered back.

"Hey there," a guy's voice said. The voice reminded Abby of a chocolate fountain; appealing and silky.

"Hi!" Lyn replied him, giving him her million dollar smile. She stuck out her hand to him. "I'm Ashlyn and this is Abby," she told him as she turned Abby around to face him.

Abby was struck by how green his eyes were; like emeralds catching the light.

"Hi, Abby," he said, not taking his eyes off her. "I'm Asher?"

"What are you doing here in high school?" Ashlyn asked for both of them, always the forward one.

He finally took his eyes off Abby, allowing her to breathe properly, and faced Lyn. "I just came to talk to one of my teachers about a few things."

"You go to school here?" Abby found herself asking. Asher looked at her, amusement filling his eyes.

"No, I actually graduated in May."

"Really?" Ashlyn inquired, putting her hands on her waist, "I don't remember seeing you around."

"I didn't know Juniors or Seniors hung out with Freshmen or Sophomores," he replied her, raising his perfectly manicured brows.

Ashlyn knew she had been one-upped and turned pink, "I ­- I have to go to the bathroom, Abs. I'll see you in homeroom."

"No -," Abby started to say but Lyn was already gone.

"She's a bit forward, eh?"

Abby eyed with annoyance, "and that's my best friend." She slammed her locker and took off after Ashlyn.

✧══════•❁❀❁•══════✧

Abby walked out of the high school building at the end of the school day, shielding her eyes from the hot August sun. She moved towards the bleachers after sending Ashlyn a quick text on where to find her. She found Asher sitting at one of the seats; he stood up when he saw her coming.