Chapter twenty-four

Abby

Time felt frozen as the weeks passed without a word from Asher. She still couldn't believe he left it like that, not even a "sorry but I've moved on." Even that would have been better than the thank you that she received. Just thinking about it made her want to burst into tears.

"I'm guessing we aren't going to the beach today either then?" Bianca asked from the bathroom door. "Plus I think your roots are coming in."

Abby turned back to the mirror and stared at her reflection. Her eyes were red rimmed from staring at her phone screen trying to decide what to do and crying. She felt terrible that she was raining on everyone's parade but she couldn't shake the sadness.

"I thought he loved me, Cici. Why did he do this?" she sobbed.

Bianca sighed, "I don't know, sis but... I don't know. I don't have anything to say."

"How long should I wait? I think it would be stupid to call him back cause if he wanted to talk to me he would try and reach me right? It's been almost four weeks Bianca, and if I hadn't opened up this damn well I wouldn't be drowning in it."

"I -I don't know, Abby but I think we should at least go to the hotel restaurant and get something to eat. You could order some mimosas for the both of us."

Abby snorted, "mom and dad would kill me."

"They don't have to know," Bianca said, wiggling her eyebrows. "Plus, I think they would understand. It's just a little vodka and I'm almost legal."

"Yeah, in nine and a half months and it's champagne," she laughed. "But okay, let's call it a momentary lapse in judgment."

"I definitely knew it was champagne," Bianca grinned.

...

The girls burst into laughter as the waiter went to get their drinks. "He totally didn't believe you were 19. Thank goodness you brought your ID," Bianca giggled.

"Let's not forget the fact that the drinking age is 18 here in Europe, I mean, yay me," she replies with a smile. "Okay, no we have to look serious unless he's definitely going to be suspicious; we look like a bunch of sappy 15 year olds."

"Alright, alright. So what are we doing after breakfast? The mall maybe? Or we could check out some of the locals, learn where the term 'Greek gods' came from."

"Bianca!" Abby gasped, slapping her arm. "They come from the fact that the Greeks had gods that they worshiped and they were always described as good looking, the only ugly one was one of Zeus' children that was thrown from Olympus or something. I don't remember his name but he's their god of... blacksmiths...?"

"Why do you know all that?"

"I read it in a book; Percy Jackson or something. Anyways, you have a boyfriend; I cannot allow you to commit eye cheating."

"Aww, so caring," said Bianca, "but it's for you; to take your mind off... He Who Shall Not Be Named..." Abby raised her eyebrow at her sister. "What? You made a book reference, I made a book reference. I'm smart you know and I read books."

"Really? Since when do you read books?"

"Since I was enrolled in elementary school, dumdum. Plus Xavier likes to read and he talks about the books he's read so I checked them out." She said the last part really fast and looked away. "Oh, look. Here comes out mimosas," she announced before Abby could make a joke.

"Ooh, bubbly," Bianca giggled as she took a sip.

"Word of advice, sis; champagne isn't that nice on its own unless you already have a taste for nasty alcohol."