~Chapter 3~

Growing up, I always thought that brown eyes were the prettiest. Some people will disagree and say that blue or green are the prettiest but not to me. Brown have more depth and they make you feel warm. There are so many different shades of brown; mine are a little bit lighter than my brothers. Jesse says my eyes are the color of Hershey kisses. I've seen many different shades of brown before, but never caramel.

These eyes were sweet like a pool of honey, soft like a cozy blanket, and bright as though the sun were about to shine

These eyes were sweet like a pool of honey, soft like a cozy blanket, and bright as though the sun were about to shine. I could stare into them for the rest of my life if I could. Sadly, reality hit me in the face as I was asked another question.

"Are you okay? You're breathing really fast" he looks at me with concern as I shake my head and try to regain control.

Taking slow inhales of oxygen and releasing it out through my mouth, I shut my eyes and wait for my heartbeat to return to normal. He's patient with me for the time it takes me to finally calm down and surprisingly, he rubs my back like Jesse does whenever this happens. It felt safe when he did it.

"T-thank you. I'm s-sorry for that." I look down so I don't get caught up in his eyes again. And because I'm nervous.

"You don't have to apologize. I'm the one who bumped into you" he says softly. "I'm Donovan by the way." I look up at him again and this time I take notice to the way he looks. He has dirty blonde, almost brown, messy but soft looking hair. He's slightly muscular but not as crazy as Kole, which I like cause it makes him look less intimidating. He has a sharp jawline and faint freckles that are only visible up close. That, and he's like 6'1 making my 5'3 self feel tiny.

"I'm S-sophia" I say quietly. He smiles at me before letting go of my waist and taking a small step back. I'd almost forgotten how close we were, how intimate it felt. A piece of hair falls to my face so I push it behind my ear. Donovan looks down to the book in my hand and raises a brow.

"Gatsby? I would've pegged you for a Nicholas Sparks kind of girl. I'm impressed Sophia" he slightly smirks at me and I blush. When Kole looked at me that way I felt weird but when Donovan does it I can't help but feel butterflies.

"W-well actually I do l-like Sparks' work b-but I'm a sucker for a classic." I'm beginning to get nervous so I flip the book over and over to give my hands something to do. I normally start cracking my knuckles when I'm anxious but this'll do.

"Hmm I appreciate anyone with a good taste in literature. Why haven't I seen you around here before? Are you new?" He leans against the shelves and crosses his arms as he waits for my answer.

"N-no I'm not new. I'm a s-sophmore but I tend to keep to myself." Internally groaning at my stutter, I pray he doesn't bring it up.

"Ah, well I'm a junior. I kind of keep to myself I guess, besides my two friends of course. You got any friends that I might know?"

I shake my head, "no I d-don't have any." Well that sounded pathetic...

He furrows his eyebrows in disbelief. "What? How? You look like a sweet girl, why wouldn't anyone want to be your friend?"