~Chapter 48~

My favorite holiday has arrived and I couldn't be more excited.

Jesse and I spent the morning over at Donovan's apartment where his aunt insisted that we all have breakfast together. Not being ones to refuse a free meal, or get on Marie's bad side, we accepted and joined them for pancakes and hot cocoa.

The first half of our time there was pretty peaceful with some light conversation and occasional jokes, but once Marie began to notice how the aura between Donnie and I had changed, it all went downhill.

It was his fault for looking at me with lovesick puppy eyes...

Not bothering to be subtle, she outright asked us what had happened last night during our date and I swear my heart stopped for a second as Jesse narrowed his eyes at me in suspicion. Seeing as how I wasn't going to be the one to speak up, Donovan cleared his throat and explained that we were back together.

The silence after that was deafening and I was fully prepared to pass out if it had lasted any longer. Thankfully though, everything turned out alright in the end with Marie bursting with joy and rushing over to hug me, scolding Donovan for not telling her sooner. Jesse on the other hand just sat back and continued eating, not even fazed by the news since Donnie and I technically have been 'seeing each other' for a while now.

With Marie promising to come over to our place later tonight, Jesse and I went back to our apartment and separated to do our own thing. Mine being that I have to finish wrapping up the gifts I got everyone since I waited last minute to get it done. I originally thought I'd have more free time, but things have been busy lately.

Glancing at the clock on my nightstand, I see that I have about three or four hours until our guests arrive. Meaning that I need to hurry up and finish wrapping the presents, take a shower, figure out what I'm gonna wear, and help Jesse cook dinner. And, if I'm lucky, I should have spare time to get my surprise ready for Donovan.

Since this is our first Christmas in a new home, my brother and I decided that it'd be nice to start off creating some good memories and keep the negative energy away, so we're hosting a little party later. Right away Marie and Donovan agreed to be here, as did Nathan and Oliver, but the girls have yet to get back to me. And Oliver still isn't sure if he'll bring James. Either way, tonight is going to be fun and I can't wait to give everyone the gifts I picked out.

Gathering all the supplies I picked out from the store, I lay them in the middle of my room and get straight to work; putting on some music to help the time pass by quicker.

One Hour Later...

"So what are we making?"

I had just walked into the kitchen after completing my little to-do list and found Jesse leaning against the counter with a cookbook in hand and slightly damp hair from the shower he took not too long ago.

Without looking over at me, he silently reaches besides him to grab my apron and hands it to me so I don't get my clothes ruined while we cook. Throwing it on, I listen intently to his instructions as I pull my hair back into a low bun.

"Well I actually went ahead and got the chicken done while you were in the shower cause that's going to take the longest to make, but we can get the mashed potatoes, corn, and bread rolls done."

Seeing the bowl of potatoes on the counter, I wash my hands before taking it upon my self to peel them while Jesse handles the corn. With only the sounds of food sizzling and the slight hum of the oven, we work in comfortable silence.

Careful not to hurt myself as I peel the skin off of the vegetables, I think about one of the first conversations I had with Donovan where he said that he loves any form of potatoes because they're so versatile. I almost laugh when I recall that time we were at the diner and he'd dip his fries into the mashed potatoes as though it were ketchup. You'd think that with his obsession for them, he'd be of Irish descent and not Italian like he actually is.