~Chapter 16~

The school day felt like it would never end but thankfully Donnie and I are in his car on our way to the mall. I'm not really sure what I want to get for Jesse but if something catches my eye, I'll take a look.

As we pass by houses and people walking on the sidewalk, Donovan has one hand on the steering wheel and the other on my thigh just a bit above my knee. If his hand were any higher I would've asked him to remove his hand but this is comfortable with me.

The amount of pda we've been showing is strange to me. I know I said I wanted to take things slow but whenever he has an arm around me or he's kissing me, it just feels so natural. We haven't even been together for a week yet and we're already using pet names, constantly touching, and can't go an hour without seeing each other.

Although the safety that surrounds me when I'm with him is nice, it's kind of scary just how connected I feel to him this early on. I realize how my whole life I've been codependent on Jesse because of my past and I don't want to make Donnie feel like I can't live without him too. What if he freaks out that I need him around to feel stable and he leaves?

"What's going on inside that pretty head of yours princess?"

I shake my thoughts and look to him as he glances at me then back to the road. I can't tell him what I'm feeling. I can't. So I lie...

"Just figuring out wh-what to get Jesse. I don't want him t-to hate my gift."

Don rubs his thumb that's on my thigh comfortingly. "I'm sure he'll love whatever you get him. Don't worry baby."

He's been calling me that a lot lately and I can't help but swoon everytime he does. I give him a smile letting him know that I feel better and turn back to look out the window. It doesn't take us much longer to reach the mall parking lot and he manages to find a spot close to the entrance.

He parks the car and quickly gets out to come to my side in time to open the door for me. Such a gentleman.

"Thank you" I tell him as he locks the car and connects our hands to start walking towards the mall. His hand is so much larger than mine it's actually quite silly. I swing our joined hands back and forth hoping he doesn't mind and giggle at how we must look to other people. A small girl holding hands with a tall gorgeous boy and acting like a kid would.

Once inside the somewhat busy shopping center, Don asks me where I'd want to go first. "Maybe a sports s-store?" I tell him and he nods leading us the right way.

"What sport is his favorite?"

"Well in high school h-he was on three varsity t-teams so I don't know which one is his favorite. He p-played basketball, baseball, and soccer. Still keeps his jerseys in h-his room proudly." I smile remembering at the time I walked in on him displaying them in a nice frame on the wall. Surprisingly his number was the same on all of them. Number 15.

"Must've been quite the stud with the girls" Donnie comments but I shake my head to which he looks at me confused.

"From school to w-work and taking care of me, he n-never got to have enough time to keep a girlfriend. He'd go out on d-dates and brought a few girls home but they never lasted longer th-than a month cause they complained about h-how little time he spent with them." I explain to him as we reach the sports store.

"It makes me feel bad b-because he couldn't enjoy his teenage y-years like he should have" I confess sadly.

"Hey, c'mere" Donnie says softly and pulls me to him so we're hugging.

"Stop blaming yourself for what isn't your fault. Your brother had to do whatever he could to keep you protected and with a roof over your head. I'm certain he doesn't blame you for it."