CHAPTER 8

In five months, it feels as though I and Sartaj know each other since decades. Most days, we have lunch together or meet at cafe.

Since only ten days are left to our marriage, Mumma says that we should not meet now but can talk on phone. Thank God! I can hear his voice at least. A day spent with him is always a day well spent but a day without seeing him is a day wasted. 'Calm down, Samaira,' I speak to myself, 'it's about few days only and then you'll be his forever'. Amen!

I make a call to Sartaj to convey his mother-in-law's message. "Hello!' his as usual calm voice urges me to meet him and kiss him. But not possible now until we get married. "Hi!" I reply. "Mumma says that we're not supposed to meet till 6th February, until we get tied in a knot forever.

"But I can't imagine my single day without seeing you", his calm tone turns into harsh one. My message makes him infuriated.

After a pause he speaks in his as usual calm voice, (I love the way he controls his emotions in a moment) "I can't say 'no' to Mumma, but we'll call each other daily. I am going with Mummy somewhere so will call you tonight after 10. Love you, my love! Bye!" he drops the phone.

Mumma calls from her room, "Come here if you've put down the receiver." I, as usual, jump out and run towards her room. Daddy used to say, "My bunny rabbit! Jumps only, never walks. What would she do in her in-law's house!" Daddy you've not given me a chance to show you how would I manage everything after marriage. I wish you could be here today, Daddy! I wish you could see how beautiful your little princess, who's grown up now, was looking on her engagement! I wish you could see my shopping......... everything Daddy! Missing you Daddy! I wish you could be there when I leave after marriage from this house, like every girl I want to hug you, want to be embraced in your strong arms and accompanied to my wedding car! I know you can see me, Daddy. But I can't see you.

 "Where have you lost again? Keep thinking of Sartaj all the time," Mumma smiles. I smile back.

My suitcase is packed. My second suitcase of footwear and other accessories is packed also. My sorrowful mood gets more sorrowful than ever. I divert my thoughts for not making my mother sad. She's is really so excited about my marriage that, I think, she forgets I'll leave this house after marriage.

"You'll have to try your Lehenga today, so be ready by 12. Sania will also be coming there. Your Bhabhi will also come so wear something nice. Don't wear a simple pullover and jeans", Mumma orders while packing.

The perfectly fitted Lehenga transforms my mood from dismay to happy one. 'After all there is something about a wedding gown prettier than in any other gown in the world'.