CHAPTER 12

His cousin takes me to the room, the most stylish royal bedroom I've ever seen in my life. Although my and other bedrooms in my house are not less attractive or stylish but this is something beyond words! 'How could I ever have had the presumptions! I shouldn't have animosity towards my in-laws. I regret of thinking negative about my in-laws. Sartaj's room is beyond my imagination. The gorgeous room with king size white tufted bed invites me to sleep and forget the world. It's kind a room I'm striving for or every girl dream of! The lace pattern wallpaper oozes glamour. The sophisticated decor of the room complements my Sartaj's calm nature. I asked him several times about his room but he changes the topic every time. He wanted to give me a surprise. Oh, I love you for this surprise. Being a pastel color admirer, white bedroom is the dream comes true! A glass chandelier hangs low over the bed, wow, it glistens and sparkles against all the metallic and non-metallic tones of the room...... But the thing still pinches me... its doesn't look like a newlyweds' bedroom; no flowers, no fragrances. The white frilled curtains sooth my eyes and mind but if it had been adorned with flowers, I would have felt in the fairy world where a princess is going to spend her first night with her prince charming. Hmmm...... The sound of the footsteps makes me realized I am a bride and get up and sit decently on my king's bed. My sister-in-law enters, "Samaira, let me take you to your room." My puzzled look compels her to say more than her usual sentences (She hasn't yet said more). "This is my room", she declares and holds my hand without looking at me. I prevent myself of saying something as I want to see 'My room' before creating any scene.

Neeru, my sister-in-law, makes me stand in the same room I hated the most. "This is your room", she smiles which seems wicked to me. Sartaj is already there, half sitting on the old bed with the same old bed-sheet. 'I'll not sleep on this bed', I declare too. Sartaj gets up and closes the door at her sister's back who leaves. We are alone in 'Our room'. I prefer to sit on the chair than on the old worn out bed-sheet. He kneels and holds my hands. I burst out in tears. "Please, don't cry, listen to me, my love," he says and kisses me tenderly on my forehead. "I can't say anything to my mother and sister. Actually, my room is where you had been sitting for the last one hour. Since Neeru loves my room the most, last week Mummy gave her my room. I wanted to change the decor and bed of this room which I've recently got but couldn't get enough time." Tears clouds my eyes and I am unable to absorb this mentally. My suitcases and other accessories are lying in the room, I just notice. In the one corner of the room, there are piles of books, boxes and other accessories as they've just thrown out of some other place. The room is messy, I really hate it. I regain my strength and take out the shawl from one of the suitcases. Spread it on the bed and lie there without changing or talking to Sartaj. This is my first night at my King's palace!!!!! 

  I don't realize when Sartaj sleeps near me. Some noises from outside make me awake from my deep slumber. I am feeling headache as though someone has held my head and smashed it hard against a rock. 'Missing you, Mumma,' I start crying again. I look around and take a deep sigh. The tingling of my bangles; my Choora awake Sartaj. He, likes a scared child, sits and start looking at me but cannot dare to utter a single word. I get up quickly and run to the big bathroom, the only thing I like about the room, it's attached big bathroom. But this time even it's marvelous marbling failed to relieve my distressed mind. While taking shower I resolute myself and not to give up easily, as I always do. I decide to find out the reason behind this atrocious behavior of my mother-in-law and sister-in-law. I can't afford to leave my husband's house as I will not tolerate seeing my Mumma suffers because of me.