CHAPTER 11

In India, a marriage is not limited to just two people forming a bond. It is celebrated as a grand occasion which creates fond memories which we remember for a lifetime....... Even during the worst part of our life......

I enter the wedding venue with my sister where I am received by my cousins at the gate. The Baraat has not yet arrived. So, I am being taken to a big room where the photographer clicks my photographs in a typical bridal pose. My Mumma comes and stops at some distance as my photos are being taken. I can see admiration in my Mumma's moist eyes.

As the 'Baraat' arrives I have been escorted to the wedding stage by my friends and cousins where Sartaj is waiting for me. He's looking like a Prince waiting for his princess in his beige Sherwani. He comes forward and gives his hand when I put my foot on the first step. I hold his hands, can feel the warmth of his hand. I know he'll never let loosen his grip....... We exchange heavily weaved Jaimala (Garland) of freshly bloomed flowers, signifies the love and respect of bride and groom for each other. We sit on the big chairs exclusively designed for the wedding couple. 'He has chosen sherwani of beige and pink combination, I notice, to complement my pink lehenga. Acha g! He is looking very handsome in trimmed beard and light pink turban. His eyes say everything, that he overwhelms with emotions when locking his eyes with his bride to be. "You are looking very beautiful, divine". He whispers. These words.... I was dying to hear from the man whom I love.

'A million people can tell the bride that she is beautiful but the only time she will listen is when it's said by the man, she loves'

It's time to take vows in front of Babaji, to take phere.

Everything seems like a dream!

Around 16.00 hrs, my Doli gets ready and it's time to bid farewell to my family, friends and relatives. Goodbye to my Daddy who, I know, is present here. While walking towards my Doli, my wedding car, I am throwing handfuls of rice over my head into my mother's dupatta symbolizes that I am repaying my parents for all that have given to me so far. MY heart sinks when I think about leaving Mumma. I am crying, I try my best to control but not now. My crying Mumma hugs me, my Mumma's hug.... I have to cover a distance when I want to hug her next time.... Sania comes, Sammy comes, Garry and everybody one by one hugs me and try to make me calm, gives blessings.

I, finally, leave and embark on a new journey...............................   

While sitting in the car, I am looking back where my family is standing...... I can't see them now, is this because of my blurred eyes which are still full of tears or have I left them behind?

The wedding car reaches at 18.00 hrs. at its destination, my destination; my new home which seems to welcome me with open arms. At the door of my husband's bungalow, his sisters stop us to do some rituals. Sartaj holds my hand and we enter the house together. The house is full of new faces, trying to put me at ease, is somewhat comforting. After having tea and snacks, Sartaj's sister takes me to a room which is adjacent to the drawing room. I sit in a big room but it's not designed like as my sister describes about their rooms. The bed on which I am sitting seems to be quite old. I know that after few minutes I'll be taken to my room...oh.... Sartaj's room. I stand and go towards the wall, a big and long wall, covered with curtains. I, hesitantly; slowly, pulls the curtains. The huge transparent glass doors decently framed open to a spacious balcony. Although I want to open the door and feel the cold breeze, I decide to stand inside only. I can see the sky from there. The stars winked like sequins on a dark velvet gown. I get distracted by the knock on the door. Sartaj's presence gives me secured feeling that I am not alone here. He has changed into a grey night suit and looking fresh and as handsome as he looks in every attire. His closing the door makes me nervous. Today is going to be a first night of my wedding and in this room! I manage to hide my feelings and smile. He sits on the bed and I too. He initiates, "Would you like to have coffee? Must be feeling tired. You didn't have tea there, I noticed." "Yes", I reply. He goes out for a minute and comes back. I am relaxed now in Sartaj's company. We begin talking about in general. I really feel headache due to heavy bun and lots of hair pins are used for my hairdo. So, feeling irritated. Sartaj, as usual, reads my mind. "Are you okay?" he calmly asks. 'These hair pins and big bun bother me', I reply. To my surprise, he gets up immediately on his knees and starts removing my hair pins. He is excellent at everything he does! Although he is not touching me the first time, I shiver when feel his fingers on my neck.  Gently he removes the pins and open my hair and sits again. I don't know what to say. After a while his sister enters with two cups of coffee. She looks at my hair and smiles, "tum log shuru bhi ho gaye". (you people have already started!) I feel insulted and shocked to see my sister in law's behavior on the very first day. I make myself calmed. Sartaj looks at me while sipping his coffee. I am waiting for somebody to come and take me to my room, Sartaj's room. This  room is spacious with big attach bathroom. I like the bathroom. It is black tiled with big black bath tub, the size of the tub is as big as my bedroom in my parents' house but I don't like the bedroom. The bed is old with old bed-sheet. I don't understand even if they want us to relax here for few hours, they should have changed the bed-sheet. I have never used this kind of bed-sheet in my house. Is this the life style of Rich people? I might have misunderstood them. This room might have been used by guests or children.... Ohhh...leave.

Around 21.00 hrs. my sister in law enters to call us at the dinner table that makes me shocked again. But I go with Sartaj, tie my hair before leaving, to have my first dinner in my new house. Everybody is looking at me, I am trying to evade all negative vibes which disturb me from the moment I entered the house. I think the dinner was cooked in the evening and not even reheated for us. Missing Mumma who never lets me eat this kind of food. I don't understand what is happening. I look at Sartaj who's eating quietly as he is ordered to sit and eat.

After dinner, his cousin comes and smiles at me, I smile back. She says, "Bhabhi, let me take you to your room". I thank to God, finally I'll see my room!