CHAPTER 13

'I don't run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead I run towards it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your foot.'

My eyes meet Sartaj's who's still sitting on the bed. He smiles and I smile back that gives him encourage to say something. I decide not to get annoyed with him until I get the truth. 'How it's possible that they decided to change the room one week ago only and Sartaj also got agreed with them! I know Sartaj loves me but there's something he is hiding from me.

'We're the perfect couple, we're not just in the perfect situation.'

He comes closer and kiss on my forehead, I hug him and put my head on his shoulder as an unfortunate tired traveler who doesn't know where to go but he's on his way.

"Hello", my mother's voice, my emotional barometer. I make a call to her from my room (thank God! Landline phone is available in this room). 'Hi Mumma', I control my tears and pretend to be very happy in my 'new house'. "Mera shona kaisa hai?" (how's my darling?), Mumma gets delighted to hear my cheerful tone. 'I am really very happy, Maa', 'Mumma, listen, what did my mother-in -law say about my furniture when you wanted to get it delivered before a day of marriage?' I ask as I wanted to make confirm everything until I take any step. "What happened, all well? Mumma gets worried. 'Areeee nothing, mummy, Sartaj's mom forgot what she said so told me to ask you again', I giggle (hiding my emotions) "She said not to deliver anything before a week until all guests leave," Mumma's reply has removed the shadow of doubt that something fishy going on or they just wanted to humiliate me. But why? 'Mumma, I'll call you later, my mummy is calling,' I know she'll be happy to hear this. "Go go, listen to your Mummy first," she is intensely excited.

I hear a loud tap on the door as if we'll not open the door, they break it. Sartaj has already left when I decided to call Mumma. I locked the door as if I am getting dressed up for my new day in my new house. Found furious mother-in-law standing at the door when I open it. "Satshriakal (Good morning) Mummy! I touch her feet and hug her tightly. Haven't given her a chance to utter something insulting or rude. She manages to control her surprise and hugs me back, "bless you, beta." All relatives are sitting in the dining hall having breakfast, they pass smile and Sartaj's cousin hold my hand and take me to the dining table, "You're looking gorgeous in this color also. Every color suits you Bhabhi" she points to my blue crepe dress bordered with a floral resham embroidery 'Thank you,' I smile. My eyes are searching for my soulmate but he's nowhere. "He's gone somewhere," my Mummy reply. She has not said or ask anything about what happened last night.

After sitting for a while with relatives, I come back to my 'disgusting room'. I call Mumma, 'Please tell Sammy to send furniture today. Mumma, what is the color of my bed.' My Mumma's reply makes me feel the ground slipping under my feet. I get stupefied. "But your Mummy has told to cancel the order for bed as they've already four beds so no space for one more bed, we didn't tell you as she said to give you surprise with new room and bed. What happened, beta. I hope you are not hiding anything from me," her tone changes from happy to tensed one. 'Arrreee nai baba, nothing like that. I don't like the bed so Mummy says if you want, they can buy a new for me. You know Mumma how much I like white furniture and the bed they give is of brown color,' I laugh. "Are you sure, they won't feel bad? Mumma get worried. 'C'mon, they are really a cool family. You just convey Sammy to order a new white bed and if it's already available then get it delivered today,' I drop the receiver after kissing her on the phone. Today I and Sartaj have to go to my parent's house for Phera Paana (it's a ritual to go to parent's home next day after marriage and have dinner with them). But I am worried if furniture will deliver in my absence Mummy could create a scene. I immediately call Sammy's office number and tell him to deliver everything after 19.00 hrs. I know I am behaving like a rebellion but have to take a risk.

I cannot recognize Sartaj at once who may be coming from salon after taking hair cut and shave. Since I saw him without beard when he met me first time at my home, after 4-5 months its difficult to absorb this appearance all of a sudden. But he's looking stunning. He comprehends what I am thinking and comes near, "What!" I slip eagerly into his arms and our lips met hungrily. The last night incident made me forget everything that I am newly married and our souls, our bodies have not yet met, craving for each other's love. But I had decided last night I would not let this problem affects our relationship (If Sartaj is innocent). My body, my soul needs him terribly and I want myself to melt in his arms but I control myself, 'Not on this bed.' I pull myself and gaze up to his smooth features. Don't want to draw my eyes from this face. "I love you, Samaira" he kisses me again. 'We have to get ready for Phera' my hands reach out and run a finger down his cheek that increases his pulse; his hands slid up my back in a slow caress that makes my heart beat wildly. He lowers his head and his lips brush my neck in a soft caress. We get jolted with a sudden knock on the door.

My Mummy gets a big suitcase and Sartaj takes it from her hand and keep it on the table. "Beta, this is your Vari (clothes and jewelry given to daughter-in-law). 'Wah g, after changing my special night to disastrous one, she's brought gifts for me. But I (as usual) control myself. 'Thank you, Mummy g' I smile innocently. "You have to wear a dress from this suitcase for your Phera." She says warmly. "And if you want to wear a sari, it's other accessories are also stitched, so you can wear anything of your choice" she sweetly touches my face and leaves. Hmmm......

I chose a rich wine velvet Zardozi sari, it is gilded with zardozi embroidery. Since I have bought sarees of this embroidery so familiar with this thread work. Mummy gives me three heavy jewelry sets, with heavy Meena work bangles. Still confused what does she want!

We get ready by 12.00 noon. "I can't take my eyes off you" Sartaj whispers as we bid goodbye and leave.