Chapter Three

What M'gann saw when she peeked around the corner was Thomas Maximoff crawling into a tent set up in the alley, the tent having clearly been there awhile due to the wear and tear on it.

Now do we confront him?

Yes, now.

The team made their way around the corner, stopping at the end of the alley. They played a quick game of rocks, paper, scissors to see who would confront the teen and it ended up that Zatanna lost. She rolled her eyes, making her way cautiously towards the tent.

"Thomas? Thomas Ma-Shepherd?" She called out in what she hoped was a calm and non threatening voice. The tent flaps flew open and a blur of white went flying by. Zatanna, luckily, thinks quickly on her feet. "Pots samohT! Tlah!"

Thomas froze mid stride, eyes wide when he saw he was surrounded. He looked panicked, speaking in a shaky voice that shocked the team due to his brash actions moments before. "Are you here to take me too? Am I under arrest as well?"

"What? No, we are with the Justice League." Dick scoffed. "Why would you be under arrest?"

Thomas sighed. "My brother, Billy, and I are mutants. Our powers developed two years ago, causing our parents to kick us out of the house. They couldn't handle having muties as children." Thomas spat. "So we've been living off the street and that requires some illegal actions. We were caught stealing food once and Billy, being Billy, teleported me to safety before himself. I assume he was arrested and an inhibitor collar was placed on him. I haven't seen him in seven months." He looked down at the ground, sorrow evident in his body language. "I would've broken him out by now, but I don't know where they are keeping him."

Boy, when they find out they were adopted and who their real mother is...

Wally, focus! His brother is a criminal!

So is your sister, Artemis. Besides, it sounds like it was a misunderstanding. Surely, we can help...

Without waiting for an answer from his teammates, Dick uses his holo-gauntlet to pull up the criminal database on juvenile mutants. "It looks like they took your brother to a detention center upstate. Care for a lift?"

Thomas' eyes filled with joy. "Are you kidding? You're going to help me? But why?"

The team exchanged glances, Kaldur taking the lead. "The Justice League wants you two safe and sound. We are here to ensure that."

"Thank you so much." Thomas looked at Zatanna then down at his still frozen body. "Mind, uh, undoing this?" Zatanna uttered a quick spell, releasing Thomas. "Thanks. How are we going to get upstate? That's a five hour drive from here."

M'gann smirked. "Leave that to me."

To say Thomas was amazed by the bioship would be an understatement. He was zipping all around the outside of it, eyes wide with wonder as the team chuckled at his child like antics. "This is so cool!"

"Why thank you." M'gann led the team and Thomas on board, taking her seat at the controls. "Robin, can I have the coordinates?"

Dick gave her the coordinates and they were off, flying through the air at impressive speeds. Thomas' face was plastered to the window, taking in all the scenery as they went flying over.

Has he never been on a plane?

That's possible, I mean he has been homeless since he was twelve. Plus not everyone is a billionaire like you, Richard.

Yikes, true.

Look at him, he's like a puppy dog.

As in hyperactive and obnoxious or adorable and you want to take him home?

Adorable.

Awe, Z has a crush.

No I don't! I don't even know him.

Still think he's cute.

Artemis, shush.

Artemis stuck her tongue out at the magician, whose face was bright red on the other side of the bioship. M'gann shook her head at the antics of her friends, focusing on piloting them safely to their destination.

"So, how are we going to get into a supermax detention center meant for super powered juveniles?" Thomas asked as they approached the prison.

"Leave that to me." Zatanna stood up and called upon her magic, uttering a glamour spell. The spell disguised her friends and Thomas as guards of the prison to others outside of the bioship, but to each other they could see who they really were.

Thomas blinked, unsure of what Zatanna just did until she explained it to him. Then his eyes went wide and his face broke into an excited grin. "That's awesome! So no one will be able to tell we are a bunch of kids?"

I take offense.

He means well.

"Nope."

Thomas hollered, following the team off the bioship and towards the front gates of the prison. Everything was going smoothly until they were asked for badges.

M'gann, you're up.

M'gann telepathically altered the prison guards vision so he saw badges on them, allowing them access. Thomas, of course, asked in a hushed voice how they got in so easily. M'gann explained it to him and he was practically vibrating with excitement.

He was easily amazed.

The group made their way through the maze of hallways, stopping outside the cell block that contained William Maximoff. Dick swiped his fake badge that Zatanna conjured up, granting them access. They faced boos and jeers from the inmates as they walked, through, stopping at the last cell at the end of the hallway.

The team could practically feel the energy seep out of Thomas as he took in the sight of his brother. William Maximoff was chained to the wall, at both the wrists and the ankles, with an inhibitor collar around his neck. From what Dick could tell, the setting on the collar was set to max and the cell was also lined with inhibiting properties.

Thomas whimpered, gaining the attention of his brother. William lifted his head, his brown eyes meeting Thomas' green one's. Thomas took a hesitant step towards the cell, reaching for his brother. William's eyes went wide and he shook his head slightly, making Thomas take a step back. Thomas bit his lip, tears lining his eyes as he gazed at his brother.

"Billy?"