Chapter Eleven

Everyone watches with bated breath as Darkseid smirks evilly behind Billy.

Billy, who froze, his hands still on either side of Tommy's face. A muscle under his right eye twitched. The heroes, Avengers, Justice Leaguers, and team members alike, watched as Billy tightened his grip on Tommy's face, tears leaking out of Billy's eyes.

What is he doing?

I'm...not entirely sure?

I think...I think he is trying to fight Darkseid's control!

M'gann, do you think you can create a link between Wanda and Billy?

I can try but I was having a hard t-

Try, damnit! Tommy's life depends on it!

M'gann took a deep breath and closed her eyes, focusing on Wanda's mind first. She entered it and took ahold of it for a brief moment, leading it towards Billy's mind. Together, with the added power of the Scarlet Witch, she was able to break through to Billy and create a mind link between mother and son.

There, it is done.

Now what?

Now? Now we watch Wanda Maximoff work her magic.

Inside Billy's Mind...

Wanda opened her eyes to find herself in an unfamiliar alleyway, a cardboard box a few feet away. A shuffling noise came from the box, drawing Wanda's attention to it. She walked over, crouching in front of the box and letting out a little gasp when she saw her sons inside, a few years younger than they are now.

"William? Thomas?" She whispered, taking in their dirty appearance and tattered clothes. The twins blinked up at her and she smiled sadly at them, tears forming in her eyes. "It is you. What are you doing in an alleyway? Shouldn't you be a- oh. I see."

"They didn't want 'muties' for children." Tommy spat out, wrapping a protective arm around his younger brother.

Wanda turned to Billy. "Billy, this is your mind, your safe spot away from everything. This is where you feel the most comfortable, here, in your alley home with your twin."

"My twin that I am about to be forced to murder." Billy whispered, tears streaming down his dirty cheeks.

"No. You have the power to change that. You are stronger than Darkseid. You can fight him, take back control of your mind, of your life. And once you do, if you and your brother will have me, I'd like to create a new safe place for you, in my home, with me." Wanda stumbled awkwardly at the last sentence, looking to the ground as she scratched the back of her neck.

She was a little shocked when she felt a pair of arms wrap around her waist. She returned the hug, looking down to see her son at his rightful age crying in her arms. She kissed the top of his head, feeling the pull of the mind link weakening. "Remember Billy, you have the power to overcome this. You don't have to be his puppet. You can cut the strings he has attached to you."

"I-I don't know if I can."

"Of course you can, you're my son, after all." Wanda kissed his forehead as she began to fade out of his mind. "I love you, Billy."

"I lo-"

Back on the Battlefield...

Wanda came back to with a small gasp, eyes immediately going to her sons to see with slight disappointment that Billy still had his hands on Tommy's face. But, she noticed, he was trembling. And starting to glow a soft blue.

A burst of blue energy suddenly exploded out from young Billy, unfreezing everyone from their halted positions and knocking them off their feet and to the ground. Everyone scrambled to their feet to see Billy embracing Tommy, sobs wracking the younger twins body as he nonverbally apologized for almost killing him.

"It's okay, it's okay. I forgive you. You weren't in control." Tommy kept saying, hugging Billy close to him.

Billy pulled out of his arms, eyes glowing bright blue once more. He had a murderous expression on his face as he turned to the sky to see Darkseid floating there. He flew up until he was floating about five feet away from the Apokoliptic force, fists clenched at his sides.

I don't have a good feeling about this...

Me neither.

What can we do?

Nothing. Nothing but watch.

"You!" Billy thundered, throwing a bolt of blue energy at Darkseid, sending him flying to the ground. Billy flew after him, sending lightning bolt after ball of fire at the hulking monster. He paused, his shoulders heaving with his ragged breathing as the smoke cleared from his assault on Darkseid. Billy walked over to the edge of the crater, sliding down inside of it to kick Darkseid over onto his back. He glared down at his face, about to open his mouth and say a spell when another voice stopped him.

"Billy, no!" He turned to see his mother in the flesh flying down after him. Wanda landed next to him, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Billy, you are not a killer. Do not let your rage consume you." Billy gestured up the crater to Tommy and the team, all of whom were standing there watching. "I know, he almost made you kill your own twin and that is unforgivable. But, if you kill him, you are giving him exactly what he wants and becoming exactly what he wants you to become. Don't let him win, Billy."

Billy sighed, all the fight leaving his body as he sank into his mother's arms. She stroked his hair gently, whispering in his ear. "That doesn't mean I can't do something about it." Billy pulled back, looking at his mother wide eyed. Wanda chuckled, winking at her son. "What? They don't call me the Scarlet Witch for nothing."

Wanda turned her attention to Darkseid and his Apokoliptic forces, pointing a finger at them. They became covered in a red haze and she muttered a spell under her breath. Darkseid nodded, sounding an alarm to his parademons and promptly retreated.

The team helped Billy and Wanda out of the crater, staring at Wanda in awe. "How did you get the to leave without a fight? With just your words?"

"I am the Scarlet Witch. And what I say, goes." Wanda chuckled a little before her laughter turned to a coughing fit. She groaned, grabbing her head as blood poured out of her nose and the corners of her mouth and ears. She looked over at her sons and smiled sadly. "I'm glad I at least got to meet you before I went."

And then Wanda collapsed to the ground.

Don't kill me don't kill me don't kill me! I promise this isn't over yet!