𝐢𝐱. 𝘭𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘶𝘱

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄 - light it up

━━━━━━━

 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐇 𝐎𝐅 gasoline permeated the air; it singed the hair within their noses, and made their eyes water until their goggles were swarmed with fog.

 Even still, Mike continued to slosh the liquid about, pouring drop after drop onto the squirming vines. Dustin poured his in a single long line, claiming it'd spread far easier that way. Lucas and Max took their time, ensuring each and every corner, nook and cranny stunk of the foul amber liquid.

 Scarlet had abandoned the group, taking her own area of the dimly lit cavern. Spores and ash flitted past her foggy goggles like snow upon a winter morning, but it never settled on the ground and it never covered up the bones around her shoes. Every step echoed out a sickening CRACK, every hop over a vine only sounded the chime of a splintering bone.

 Pouring the gasoline drop by drop seemed quite pointless; they were on a time crunch. They had to draw the Demo-dogs towards the hub before Eleven and Hopper reached the gate. They had to make sure that their path was clear and safe.

 So rather than shaking out the sloshing liquid within her canister, Scarlet tossed it high into the air. Her hands shot to the side and her palms were overridden with a crimson wave. It glossed around her fingers and curled up each one like hungry little flames... The canister was infested, and with each coil of her fingers, a dent appeared in the plastic until it rattled beneath her pressure.

 Then BOOM! The canister exploded and a shower of dull yellow liquid rained upon the vines like the downpour amidst a heavy storm. The scent wafted through the cavern, making Scarlet's eyes water and burn, even with the protection of her goggles.

 She turned on the spot, merely pivoting on her feet and was greeted by an audience that had watched every move. Max had a lopsided smile, a curl of her pink lips that only grew as her gaze slid to Steve. She'd picked her favourite babysitter.

 Dustin almost seemed to bounce on his feet, "That was awesome!"

 Scarlet could only smile as he gushed, pottering onwards whilst Steve finished emptying his canister. The floor seemed to glisten, shining beneath the limelight of their torches, each speck of gasoline sparkling — ready to ignite.

 Once every last drop had been poured from the containers, once the vines seemed to drown and squirm like a fish in a shallow pond, the group of strangers, exhausted teenagers and prattling children scurried towards the closest tunnel and huddled together like a group of chattering penguins.

 Steve was at the forefront, a step closer to the wreckage they were soon to cause than Scarlet. She watched him dig into his pocket, easily procuring the silver zippo lighter.