𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐢. 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘶𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘦

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄 - back to the future

━━━━━━━

 𝐀 𝐏𝐔𝐅𝐅 𝐎𝐅 frizzy hair smacked Scarlet in the face with every turn she took. Each step in which they pressed further only spurred her to twist her neck and narrow her eyes over her shoulder, checking for the Russians that were sure to be tailing them.

 Scarlet truly dreaded catching a glimpse of how she looked; the fringe she'd left free was nothing more than a birds nest, her cheek and neck throbbed in pain, likely blue and purple by now... her knees had been scraped and were littered with cuts, and Scarlet Hopper was always gifted with circles beneath her eyes, so with the lack of sleep... she could only imagine just how big they'd gotten.

 Still, she couldn't possibly have looked as bad as Steve. Half of his face was swollen, his jaw, right cheek and eye were red raw; yellow beginning to brew atop his flesh. The cuts on his lips had been torn apart again, oozing fresh blood into his mouth, and staining his teeth.

 His uniform was stained with dirt, sweat and blood... and, Scarlet supposed, there were the red eyes and the trail of drool slipping from his lips thanks to the lingering drugs. Robin might not have been as beaten and bruised, but one look at her cerulean eyes would send most people thinking that she'd paid Eddie Munson a visit.

 Dustin manned their front, twisting and weaving through corridors, leading the gaggle of teens and Erica through the mall; colours blinked their way, still as vibrant and neon as ever... such a stark contrast to what was waiting just below the surface.

 Dustin finally stilled, eyes peering around a corner, his mop of curls practically bursting atop his head. He fiddled with the cap in his hands, waiting... He'd led them to the cinema and Scarlet had to give credit where it was due; a dark room filled with people? It was perfect, to hide right in plain sight.

 He nodded only once, hardly sparing a glance back; it was safe, and it was time to move.

 Erica kept a firm hold upon Robin's wrist, tugging her along and shushing as they went, all the while Scarlet curled her arm through Steve's. He followed along rather willingly, a daze in his eyes and a grin on his lips. The only time he faltered... was to stick his arm into a trash can, fishing out a box of likely stale popcorn.

 Scarlet grimaced, lips parting and ready to tell him to put it back... But when Steve turned her way, he was all teeth. He beamed until his eyes were forced to close from his rising cheeks and thrust the box forth. Kernels toppled to the floor like confetti, raining over their shoes in his silent offer. He consequentially pouted when Scarlet shook her head.

 If he wanted to fill his gut with gross and stale popcorn, he could... she was certain he'd later suffer from the consequences, and when he did, she'd be right by his side ready to laugh at his misfortune.