c h a p t e r T W E L V E

"Where are you Choi?" He insisted. I rolled my eyes and told him I'm walking back to my dorm.

     "Just wait there." He instructed and I frowned when I looked down at my phone after he hung up. I turned to tell Kyoto what had happened when I came up empty. Did I lose her again? I'm not usually this irresponsible.

     Panicked, I opened my phone and started looking for her contact to call her. I hope nothing has happened to her. "I got you some ice cream." I heard her voice and immediately I looked up and ran to her. I pulled her in for a hug and sighed, "I thought I lost you again." Her chest vibrated as she chuckled.

     "I saw you were calling someone so I thought I'd get us a little something." She explained, my heart still beating fast with adrenaline and I chuckled. I took the strange coloured ice cream from her and inspected the odd thing. "It's organic." She interjected, laughing at my confusion and I blushed.

     We both walked in sync all the way home, both silent as we were lost in thought. "Do you think anyone ever actually has their life figured out?" I asked, my eyes fixed on the path ahead of us and I heard Kyoto snort. "Well congrats to anyone who does. I don't even know what I'm going to study next year or where I'm going, I just want to experience everything life has to offer."

     "I think life isn't meant to be figured out." Someone piped up behind us and I jerked, turning around and raised my hand to attack. Their hand wrapped around my wrist and their laugh filled my ears. The familiar sound eased my racing heart and I tsked at him. Suddenly Kyoto's hand came down on Mark's back, echoing loudly down the corridors of the university and his face contorted in agony. "What is wrong with you?" She scolded, ears fuming and rage flickering in her eyes.

     I cringed at how hard she hit him. My back tensed up at just imagining how that must've felt.

     He didn't bother to reply as he tried to massage the, probably, throbbing spot on his back but his hand came up short. My hand gently rubbed the area and he gave me a painful smile in appreciation. "Thanks."

     We squabbled for a bit until Kyoto announced her fatigue and headed to her room, leaving Mark and I alone in the courtyard of the school. Few students littered the area, either sitting at a table with intense concentration on their books or running off to their girlfriend's rooms.

     "Do you think life is meant to be figured out?" He asked, shuffling on the bench to face me, in reference to the question I asked Kyoto earlier. "I don't think giving meaning to anything is useful. I mean, we use reference and comparison to describe anything. It's like recycling meanings. You can't figure out a circle because it doesn't have sides." I trailed on, fidgeting with my fingers as I spoke.

     "Whoa," he breathed out and I eventually met his eyes. My cheeks flushed at my philosophical rant, embarrassed that someone heard my opinion on anything. But what really pushed my nerves over the edge was that Mark was genuinely curious of my mind and wanted to know of my opinions. "I don't even know what to say to that. That was- wow."

     I chuckled, resting my hand on his knee. His eyes darted to where my fingers rested and slowly they wandered up my arm until they hesitated at my lips. "Do you want to stay over? It's a little late to walk back to yours by yourself." I suggested, removing my hand from his leg and standing up.

     He responded with his fingers meeting mine and interweaving them. I smiled and lead him up to my dorm.

[ Hey :) please make that white star orange and comment down below on your thoughts! I hope you enjoyed this chapter ]