c h a p t e r S I X T E E N

My mind wondered far further than it should have when Mark suggested we go somewhere quieter because he was in the mood for fun. And this party was the opposite of fun. Kyoto had already left with some guy she just met and Sumi had cancelled way before we even got here due to a family emergency. With the boy who stood before me being the only ride home I had, I obliged — not that I only agreed because of transportation.

     When he took my hand I slipped it out of his fingers just as quickly. To be frank I was tired of Mark holding my hand, complimenting me and giving me butterflies when nothing real was to come from this. If I was just a fling to him then I'd want him to just tell me upfront instead of dragging my heart behind him, ripping it apart against the tar road, as he drove off to our next destination.

     I noticed the frown that had folded it's way between his thick eyebrows hadn't left from the moment I had refused his hand-holding to the time he stopped the car in front of a bowling alley.

     "I hope you're ready to get you ass beat." He teased before climbing out the car and shutting the door. The passenger's door soon opened for me too and I thanked the older boy, swaying passed him and into the darkly lit building. Music from my pre-teen tears vibrated out the speakers that were attached to the ceiling beams and I hummed lightly to an early Rihanna track, "Please don't stop the music."

     Mark groaned next to me by the till once he finally caught up, complaining that I shouldn't have paid despite had he paid for our last outing.

     "Are you going to sulk or do I have to play by myself?" I scolded, my patience running thin with his chivalry, and his mouth shut but his eyes widened to the size of golf balls.

     If Mark didn't know I was competitive before, he sure knew now. When I was ten, I broke a tennis racket because my friend beat me in a friendly game. I accidentally broken me WII remote when Emily won the basketball match. I cried during all those times too. So when Mark put the guards up for me because I had successfully rolled the ball into the gutter four times in a row, my blood boiled. "I'm not a kid!" I exasperated. "I refuse to play if you keep those guards up."

     He raised his hands up on either side of his head in surrender, chuckling, "Okay, okay. But let me help you then." I sighed, to make out that I wasn't happy about it when in reality I couldn't have been happier by his offer. "Fine."

     My eyes watched as his fingers gripped the bowling ball and his legs tread closer to where I stood with my arms crossed. He smiled down at me and circled his pointing finger, motioning for my to run around and face the lane. The breath I was inhaling lodged in my throat as his hand slid along my arm. Mark passed me the heavy ball and I barely whispered a thanks.

     I squeezed my eyes as his chest met flush against my back. Was it healthy to suddenly feel so hot? My eyes felt slightly hazy and my face might've melted off with the temperature rise across it. He drew our arms back and flung our wrists forward. He took a step forward, taking me off guard and sending me falling forward with the ball, and I gasped.

     Mark tried to stop my momentum by wrapping an arm around my waist but instead threw himself off balance and went tumbling down with me.

       He really weighed more than he looked. I hit the ground with an 'oof' leaving my lungs and Mark on top of me. Almost immediately he got up as if the floor was lava and held a hand out to me, muttering his apology. I took his hand and with ease he hoisted me to my feet.

      "You're cute when you're flustered." I noted and he looked down in embarrassment, his ears the colour of a my skin when it's sunburnt — red.

     My eyes left the blushing boy, trailing down the laminated runway and to the pins that were all toppled over. I cheered with excitement, "We did it!"

     He stared at me with soft features. I was unaware of what that look meant but I didn't want him to stop looking at me like that.

[ Hey :) please make that white star orange and comment down below on your thoughts! I hope you enjoyed this chapter ;)

Sksjsjsj two updates in one day to hopefully make up for the long wait :( not that anyone really reads this fanfiction lmfao🤣💔

I really hope you're having a good day💞 ]