prologue: ANGEL

ANGEL  flopped on her bed, glancing over at two unpacked boxes by her closet. She thought she would've been used to moving by now, but it seems every time is always a struggle. Angel was an only child. She lived with her mom and step dad, Derrick - she just calls him dad at this point. Her mother got remarried when Angel was 4. By her freshman year of high school Angel had moved to three different houses. Two of which stayed in the same town but she went to two different schools. Then finally her third move was out of state, all the way to Portland, Oregon.

Angel was wrecked when she moved. It was two weeks before the high school dance and her boyfriend at the time, Nate Jacobs, really wanted her to go. Angel never told him when or why she was moving. she just...left. She thought it would be sparing him. The day after the dance her cousin, Rue, called her to say Nate tried to finger her. Angel was gutted at first, but she knew it's what she deserved.  

As years went on angel became more and more introverted. She was different than other girls. not in a necessarily quirky way, but she just didn't find any of them interesting enough to hang out with. Angel went to therapy all of her sophomore and junior year. Though, the summer going into her junior year Angel was diagnosed with bipolar depression and paranoia. After being diagnosed Angel started to change. She still went to therapy but changed her whole persona and look on life. She had always been naive and shy but it seemed to increase going into her junior year. 

Unfortunately, her father announced they were going to move back to Oakland. Angel was split between being happy or sad. She didn't know if all her friends were still there except Rue and Gia. She knew Nate would hate her and Kat probably wouldn't even recognize her. Yet she tried to stay optimistic, maybe this homecoming could be good.