II: EYES

EYES dug into the back of angel's head. she grew incredibly self conscious. Rue had run off to meet up with a new friend she had made, plus their first classes were on opposite sides of campus anyways. So Angel was in this alone. Or so she thought.

"Angel Leandra Bennett?!" a voice exclaimed. she turned around seeing three girls locked together by the arms. Two of which she recognized immediately. Her smile grew locking eyes with Cassie and Kat. she ran up to them and hugged them tightly. "No shit you're back?" Kat said. Angel nodded. "you look so different." Cassie smiled at her and Angel became flustered. "I am different, i guess." Her voice became soft and submissive. Cassie giggled and nudged her softly before turning her attention to a short, black haired girl.

"Angel this is my best friend Maddie. she moved here basically right when you left." Angel and Maddie locked eyes. Angel was almost completely enamored by her. Everything about Maddie, Angel wanted to be. from her style, to her make up, even a tiny dimple she had on her cheek when she smiled.

Angel could feel her cheeks heating up. She was at a loss of words but that was quickly smudged by a shocking statement Maddie followed with. "Yeah didn't you date Nate in like 5th grade?" She chuckled playfully. Angel tensed but tried to play it off. "Yeah basically for like a week. typical elementary couples.." she replied. But it wasn't. Angel knew that, Kat and Cassie knew that, Hell even Nate knew it. But not Maddie. Angel wanted to keep it that way.

"Anyways I have to get to Comp 1." Angel quickly spoke. Cassie perked up and linked arms with her. "Me too. it's just a couple doors down. See ya later cuties." Cassie waved off the girls and lead Angel down the hallway.

If there was one thing Angel and Rue had in common most, it was falling in love with the wrong people. Before Angel moved out of state, her and Cassie were inseparable. Cassie and Kat were some of the only people in her life who accepted her sexuality. Angel always was hesitant to define it, and she still is, but she is certain she likes all genders.

Yet, as she grew closer with Cassie she started to fall. She knew that Cassie was straight but she always imagined maybe one day Cassie would say the feelings were mutual. The day has still yet to arrive. She thought by the time she came back the feelings would have dissipated but somehow they are even stronger.

They sat down in the back row of class together. Angel looked around trying to put together familiar faces. She couldn't recognize any. That was until she landed eyes on a tall, brown haired boy. His back was facing her and he was talking with some other boys surrounding him. She immediately sunk in her seat. Her heart pounded and she could feel her stomach drop. Cassie looked over at her with a worried expression then followed her eyes.

"Oh yeah...Uhm Nate kind of bulked up." Cassie whispered to her. Angel looked over at Cassie and nodded. She decided to keep her head down throughout the rest of class.
The 55 minutes felt like 55 hours.

When the bell finally rang, Angel immediately got up and turned to the door. She was stopped half way out by a strong hand gripping her forearm. It was a tight, aggressive grip and it pulled her down the hallway. She looked up seeing Nate pulling her. He didn't speak the whole time. He lead her down a small hallway and to an empty room. He shut the door and turned to her.

His eyes scanned Angel for a moment. Taking in everything that was different about her. He stared back at her. They locked eyes for a long moment. Angel's breath hitched and she stepped back slightly. "You're back." Nate's voice was quiet. Not quite soft, in fact there was an undertone of harshness.

Angel only nodded. She didn't know what to say. Her eyes were latched on Nate. "I just moved in." She replied. "You look..." angel trailed off. "Yeah I know." Nate cut her off.

The door soon swung open and students began to fill the room. Nate slung his bag back over his shoulder and let out a frustrated and annoyed sigh. He gave angel one last look and turned, walking off.

Angel stood for a moment. She took a heavy breath and clenched her fists, digging her nails into her palms. It wasn't out of anger, It was out of fear. She took one more breath and headed out the door.