VIII: HOSPITALS

HOSPITALS were at the top of angel's list for worst fears. The smell, the food, the ambiance; every thing about it made her stomach curl.

She laid in the small bed, staring up at the ceiling. Her parents were talking to her but their voices were muffled. Angel's thoughts were elsewhere. It had been a full week in the hospital bed. Doctors were running tests and a nurse came in every hour to check up on her mental state yet it never changed. she was always impartial. Never good, never bad...just somewhere in the middle. It was like a vast gray space that she was floating in. Yet every once in a while it would become overpowered by discouraging words or embarrassing moments of the past weeks.

"Angel?" Her mother shook her. "You listening?" she added, looking at her daughter with a worried expression. Angel nodded, giving her a soft hum in response. "Yeah, just ready to go home." she sighed, running a hand through her hair. She was in desperate need of a shower and she just wanted to be in her bed. Her parents got up and her dad stretched. "you can say that again." Her dad responded, grabbing his bag. Her mother hit her fathers shoulder, rolling her eyes. It made her father and angel chuckle a little. As the two adults stepped away and spoke, angel sat up, starting to get dressed to go. She grabbed her her things and stepped out, taking a breath of relief.

This was probably the worst week of her life. Of course she could be a little dramatic but in retrospect, it seems accurate. Fez kissed her, Cassie won't talk to her, and Angel is anxiously waiting for the day Maddie finds out that Nate assaulted her.

The night after the halloween party, Angel sobbed to her parents. It had been a while since they had seen angel like that. She assumed they took her to the hospital because of what happened with Rue in the past. They didn't want their daughter to turn out the same. Which angel thought was a little unfair. Yet as the doctor checked on her, they were obligated to ask if Angel had a "plan" if she were to take her own life.

In the moment she was confused. 'well doesn't everyone have a plan' she thought to herself.
But due to her hesitation on the topic she was asked to stay so they could run tests. Though angel knew they were just going to tell her something she already knew. her brain was fucked up.

The drive home was quiet. Angel spent most of it looking out the window and listening to music. As the car pulled into the driveway, Cassie sat at her doorstep. The family got out of the car and Angel waved off her parents who walked inside. She turned back to Cassie and furrowed her brow, approaching her.

Cassie stood, flashing a shy smile. In her hand she held a small daisy. "I want to visit you in the hospital but I-I didn't know if you wanted to see me..." Cassie drifted off. Angel took the flower in her hand and smiled at it. "It's okay." Angel looked back up at Cassie. They held a look for a moment. "I'm glad you're here though." She added, the two sitting back down on the steps.

Their shoulders pressed against each other. It was something so platonic yet it still made Angel blush. "I needed to talk to you about something." Cassie's voice was almost a whisper. "It's about the night at the carnival. I wasn't completely honest with you." Angel bit her lip at Cassie's statement. Her heart was in her stomach and her head was spinning.

"I'm not good at this you know? I've never done this before.." The blonde spoke, motioning between the two of them. "My life hasn't been great but having you around always made me so happy. When you left, I felt so lost. Then you came back and those feelings returned. I thought they were one thing at first but now I think..It's something else." The two girls looked at each other again, this time more yearning.

Cassie stammered on with her words, trying to keep talking but her eyes fluttered down to angel's lips, causing her to lick her own. The tension only built more and more. Angel pressed her hand against Cassie's cheek and smiled.

"I'm scared." Cassie whispered. Angel nodded. "Me too." She replied, her voice quiet. Their lips were inches away from the other. It was only a moment later that the two leaned in, closing the space, and pressing their lips against each other.

The kiss was sweet yet passionate. It was everything Angel had imagined. She couldn't help but smile into it. As the two pulled away to catch a breath, they laughed. Both their hands rested on the other's cheeks. "Will you come to the winter formal with me?" Cassie asked. Angel nodded quickly. "Yes. Of course!" She giggled. The two kissed again.

After a horrible month of chaos, everything started to fall into place.

Angel turned around, noticing her mother and father aweing at the two of them. Angel gave a dramatic groan and covered her face in embarrassment which only made Cassie laugh. "I guess I have to find a dress now huh?" Angel asked. Cassie nodded and stood, holding out her hand. "Come on, we'll go together." She smiled widely and angel gladly took it, standing and following her away from the porch. She waved goodbye to her parents before the two girls got in the car and drove off.