Chapter Two - P2

Deciding that my lack of artistic skills gave me a reason to skip classes, I didn't go over to the outbuilding that hosted the art classrooms. Instead, I crossed the field to the car park, a text from Reagan a moment later solidified my thoughts of going home for the day.

We have guests, get to the lodge ASAP.

After his excursion, I had a slight idea as to whom our guests could be, hopefully, they would be guests with information I found useful. After twenty minutes I pulled in front of the lodge, there was no doubt in my mind, they would definitely be useful.

I got out and saw the wolves first; they were easy to spot with their big bodies and longer graying hair. These two were clad in jeans, filthy walking boots, and loose shirts. I frowned at their attire but stopped myself from commenting, it wasn't like the mud would be for me to clean after.

There was a witch who looked to be Scandinavian with straight blonde hair and wide blue eyes; a large book was in her lap, a spell book I suppose. Something about her put me on edge but at the same time, she looked nervous. My eyes pierced and I met her gaze before moving on.

My fellow vampires were huddled in a shadowed corner; I heard their sharp intakes when they saw me in the sunlight. My windows were UV filtered but with the door open, natural light filtered through, shining upon me. The two of them both had thick coats on to protect their skin and once the door was closed they pushed back their hoods. Both were paler than normal with wispy white hair, it made the male look intimidating but the girl looked mellow and ill. I had heard of them, the Russian twins Olesya and Alexei Ivanov. My traitorous cat was in her arms, a scowl crossed my face and Reagan snickered as he saw my line of sight.

"I brought a witch, and the alpha or leader and second in command from each clan and I also did research on the hunters but I was unable to get any names," Reagan said, he was leaning against the stair rail far away from the twins.

"Actually, I did the research and told him to bring them," Nat said tartly from behind him.

The Alpha spoke, "Why are we here? I have left my pack and was told to get here quickly because the vampire council needed me. Now I respect the council but I'm not under their rule, what do you need us for?"

The Alpha was polite but demanding. I respected him for that; he obviously cared for his pack of wild dogs. I decided to get straight to the point

"I need to know who the hunters in Virginia are."

I heard a laugh sound from Olesya and I held my breath to stop myself from saying something. Trust me to like the werewolf more than my own kind.

"I understand that you know the council but these aren't just any hunters, they travel at night killing any vampires, werewolves, witches they find and they are under orders to do so. My advice is to form a truce; it's the only way you will live." Olesya's accent was soft but almost mocking and I suddenly remembered why I surrounded myself with humans and not vampires.

"Well, it looks like you're not going to be much help," I snapped out at Olesya. To my displeasure, that wasn't the end of it. Hours later and we were still talking, arguing back and forth about things I didn't even care about. Finally, I snapped and stood up.

"Thank you for coming all the way out here," I glared at Olesya as I spoke. "You may leave now but tell your covens and packs that the council is working on a way to make it safer for the supernatural community of Virginia and that I'm going contact the Wester's and ask for their help." They nodded, the wolves looking surprised that I would even consider contacting their leader after our less than pleasant history. Just before they all left Alexei whispered in my ear.

"Send our graces to the Count but tell him to be careful, there's a reason the council doesn't know what's been going on. The hunters are everywhere, influencing every decision made and they're not all what they seem." He then left pulling up his heavy brown hood to hide his flammable skin; his words had sent shivers down my spine but I didn't let them know that. What hunters could be so bad that my own people wouldn't ask for help?

I pulled on the witch's arm as she went to follow the others out, "What's it like for the witches?"

She frowned and gripped her book tighter, it wasn't a spell book as I had first presumed, it was a bible. She spoke quickly and quietly, "We can't practice in Virginia so most of us packed up and travelled to the surrounding states, namely West Virginia. They tried to follow us at first, but for some reason, they left us to it after a few months. The hunters in West Virginia can't deal with the increased supernatural population so they just don't do anything. It's like a competition between the two states, as long as we aren't in Virginia the hunters here just don't care." She left quickly but instead of getting answers I only had more questions. This wasn't the hunter's usual style. They travelled in groups all over the world and either tracked and killed or just stayed in one place for a couple months obliterating anything that they could deem nonlaw-abiding. They didn't settle in a state and let everyone run away.

I flopped onto the dark couch, pulling the cream woolen knit blanket off the back of it and over my head. I groaned into it and felt the urge to cry in frustration, instead, I held my breath and let my heart go silent, a beating heart does have its benefits but at times the effort of keeping it going is too much.

"Myra?" Nat asked warily, I chose to ignore her.

I heard heavy steps and the presence of someone in front of me, "Stop acting like a child," Reagan said.

With the speed that only a vampire could possess, I was sat in the armchair glaring at him before he even realized I was gone. "Technically, Reagan, I am a child," I said stubbornly and with my anger and harshness my accent came out thickly.

"You're over a thousand years old, Myra. So get yourself together, you have a responsibility." I didn't even blink. "Myra!"

Wesley crawled over and I glared at him for having been in Olesya's arms. "Do you know how rude that vampire was to me?" He looked on innocently and stopped at my feet. "Never mind," I whispered as I pulled him onto my lap and stroked him, ignoring the other two occupants of the room.

I breathed and then remembered I had stopped my heart and the pros of breathing had therefore vanished. Shaking my head I smiled slightly to myself and stood up. "I have emails to answer."