Chapter Six - P1

I absentmindedly made comments on a bright pink dress Abi was purposely flaunting in front of the store, pretending to need the 'perfect shoes' when she actually just wanted attention. Jax was sat with me on a long wooden bench looking like he was about to fall asleep on my shoulder, his blue eyes slowly drifting closed. Even I was struggling to keep my attention focused on clothes shopping which I usually found interesting.

Then with a start I sat up as she waved a pair of peep toe black heels in front of my face, I nodded enthusiastically hoping that we could leave to go and find the others. For once, luck was on my side and we exited the shop with a total of four more bags, I'm not sure if my range rover can handle all this. Three jocks, one cheerleader, and four girls' summer shopping spree! Why was I so eager to let them put all their clothes in my vehicle?

"So where's your boyfriend?" Abi asked snappily as we walked towards the food court.

"I don't...oh. Luke isn't my boyfriend, he's just a stalker. I let him drive my car around so he will leave me alone, hopefully, he doesn't crash it. I don't actually know how he got here."

"That doesn't sound like our infamous Luke. You know, I feel sorry for you, I really do. Here you are all alone in the world with that big house to yourself, no parental guidance at the age of sixteen. You're so broken and lonely, it's really obvious to me and all this is holding you back from being...amazing." My jaw dropped. She did not just say that! I'm not broken!

"I have a great counselor I can refer you to."

"No...thanks," I said holding back the wide range of insults I could throw at her. Kelsie and her close childhood jock friend came out of a sports shop, Chan dawdling behind with an annoyed Honey and her boyfriend. Honey sent me a glare, probably because I was invited into the shop with Abi and not her; it was rather pathetic if I was honest. Quickening my pace, I grabbed hold of Kelsie's arm and turned to face the group sweetly.

"I promised Kelsie I would spend some girl time with her, you know how it is, you will all get your chance, smile Honey!" I let her thick blonde head work that insult out.

Before Kelsie could have refused I had us both in a new store stood way out of the shop's window view. I grabbed a random dress in my size off the hanger and picked a pair of jeans for Kelsie and then I hid us both in the changing room away from the rest of the group.

I breathed a sigh of bitter relief, next time I go shopping I'm doing it online, it's way too hard-work shopping with them. Kelsie shifted nervously from the corner of the room, I flashed a fanged smile at her.

"Why are we here?" She asked with surprisingly intelligent eyes.

"Oh no reason, just to avoid-"

My voice caught as a sharp pain ran through my head, I fell to the ground, suddenly I felt exhausted and hungry, so hungry. Kelsie's vein pulsed under the lighting but I held myself back, still unable to resist licking my lips in unwanted anticipation. I had to stop myself, friends aren't food. They are people who you like. I was Myra Hillington, I had spent hundreds of years being reconciled and I never slipped up!

I placed my hand on my cold forehead, feeling a layer of sweat coating it, it was impossible, or it should be. Quickly I texted Luke demanding he come and pick me up, I need to get home immediately. Something was so very wrong, the incident with Reagan was a one off, they happen right? But twice is when I get worried, no one can know I'm weakening. Perhaps it's the spells I used; there can be consequences to powerful spells like that. Since my family died I had my scent covered, it was how I went by undetected, but if the witch had failed in her magic...

Then all my perfect control tumbled in on itself, my vampire took over. I could just about see the fear that came over Kelsie's face as my fangs extended, she backed into the corner making herself look even smaller and vulnerable. Then I pushed her head to the side and sunk my fangs into her little neck, I didn't even bother stopping myself. She lost consciousness and fell into my arms. That's when I panicked. I killed humans all the time, but not like this.