Chapter Six - P2

"Can you imagine being constantly frozen but never actually feeling the cold, never being able to create a heat source to warm ones-self? Always being stuck with either freezing or burning, what would you choose?"

      "You're being absurd again, perhaps I should refer you to my doctor," he said with a smile while intertwining his calloused hands with my lace clad ones, the sun shone brightly today and I kept to the shade of the trees.

      "I was being serious Christian, the ice or the fire, to live or not to live, heaven or hell, me or your betrothed. Decide!" I demanded and slowly he pushed me backwards until my cream corset met the tended green grass, his chest flush against mine.

      "I would choose the mysterious qualities of the majestic diamond ice caps of the north. I would live and thrive in your presence. I would choose heaven yet I cannot help but believe I would follow you to hell, my little Satan. I will always choose you, yet it is not my choice."

      He brought his lips closer to mine until they touched lightly; I pushed him back and placed my hands on his chest

      "Not here, the sun is bright and workers will come when their break ends. We have a reputation to uphold."

      The sun came back in what only seemed like seconds later, with it I rose to my feet turning back towards the cabin. My home looked beautiful as it reflected back the morning colors, reminding me what drew me in when I was offered a choice of residence.

      Dreams, memories, and thoughts; a waste of valuable energy.

      No, wisdom!

      I ignored the notion, Natasha was waiting fully dressed in cream dress pants and a crepe shirt, she looked older than usual, a weary smile upon her pretty twenty odd face. She opened the door for me and for once she kept silent, something I was thankful for in my current mood. Wrapping an arm around my shoulders she led me up the stairs to my room, placing me in front of my mirror while she searched through my drawers. I didn't ask what she was looking for, I didn't care.

      Her thin fingers combed through my curls, adding pins and adornments until it resembled a stylish bun on top of my head. She applied basic makeup, reminding me of the smooth porcelain face of a Chinese doll father bought me for my tenth birthday, I named her Catalini. For a moment I felt a bit nostalgic, wondering what happened to her in the battle all so many years ago.

      Shaking my head I pulled on the grey dress that came just above my knees, the collar was outlined in black and matched a wide belt on my waist. I slipped on a pair of suede heels and put on my favorite nude lipstick, well, technically it was Nat's. With a self-reassuring smile, I pulled up my newly bought suitcase easily with one hand, along with a handbag that had the 'essentials' in according to Nat. I didn't even want to know what that meant.

      Sending her a smile I walked down the stairs towards my garage, Reagan sent me a tight smile. He hated me leaving; apparently, I didn't let them know how I was doing whilst I was gone frequently enough for their liking. I gave him an awkward one armed hug, giving him my best try at comfort. I was about to leave when suddenly I was pulled into Reagan's warm body.

      "Is this a goodbye?" he asked with a thick voice to which I hugged him harder.

      "No. It's just a see you soon, I have things to do so you just stay here and keep control of things while I'm gone."

      I entered my gleaming white garage, not sure whether what I just told them was true or not. Of course, I wanted to return, but things could happen while I was gone, it's not just as simple as returning back to Mors Town after all is said and done. My range rover bleeped as I opened it (or was it a beep?) and I climbed in barely breathing out, I had to remind myself they were just humans, nothing more or less. Their lives are short and won't last, I'm here...forever.