Chapter Eleven

I felt my heart beating. I felt the blood pumping out of me. I felt people around me. Yet no voices being spoken out loud.

I wasn't dead. I'm alive. I survived whatever happened to me. 

I survived the change.

Everything that has happened to me was still fresh in my mind. The note. Alex comforting me. My eyes rolling back. The involuntary sleep. Everything was fresh.

I didn't want to open my eyes just yet. I just wanted to leave them closed for a minute. But I didn't have to open them. I heard what people were thinking.

"Is she ever going to wake up?...I swear if she's dead...I'll kill myself if I have to." 

Hearing that made me open my eyes. I looked around the room, to see Alex with his head in his hands. Mayah and Aimee were sitting on the couch to the right of me. They didn't see I was awake. 

I took some time to see what was different about me.

I felt different.

Those were obviously thoughts I was hearing. So I was a person that can hear thoughts. 

My senses felt sharper. I didn't have my glasses on, yet I could see perfectly. I started to touch the bed. I felt the little fabric on my fingers. My sense of touch was stronger too. 

I noticed I was in Alex's room.

"Alex...Mayah...Aimee...I'm awake." I whispered.

Alex jumped up. When he saw my face, he looked shocked. He started to tap on Aimee and Mayah shoulders. When they finally woke up, he pointed towards me. When they saw me, they were also shocked.

"Do I look horrible? Do I look different?" I asked them.

"Yeah...Your eyes...they're purple." Aimee said. She passed me a mirror, and I saw what they were talking about. My eyes were purple. A dark purple.

"This change Alex...all the books that were left on my bed...did it mean...?"

"Yeah. If you can hear me, nod your head." I heard Alex say to me.

I nodded. 

His face looked surprised. Almost as if he wasn't expecting this to happen to me. I guess that made two of us. 

A knock was at his door. 

"Come in." Alex said.

The door opened, and entered a man. Body-wise he looked to be in his mid-20s. Yet his face said different. In the face, he looked to be like a teenager, yet you can see he's been through a lot. He nodded towards Alex, and Alex nodded back. Then the man started to talk.

"Hello Kaiya. I see you have underwent the change. I might as well tell you everything, and not hold anything out." He said.

"Please do. At least someone won't keep secrets from me." I said while glaring at Alex.

"My name is Jeremiah. If you received a note recently, that was from me. You're probably asking yourself what exactly did you change into. The answer is, you changed into something not even the most intelligent American can think of. As you know many people believe in psychic abilities. You are one of them. So it will be easy for you to believe that you are one of them. And you are not alone. I am one. Alex is one. That ring you got a few months ago was from us. That "club" Alex was telling you about is not a club. It's just people that are special."

I nodded, letting it all in.

"Okay. But I kinda knew about that. What's so special about me? Why do I need a Protector?" I asked.