Show Him What He's Missing

Lee didn't text Roland more than a few times the rest of that day and the next before the party. He didn't mind it—in fact, his ego was just thrilled that the quarterback even swiped right on him. That was really all there was to it (and also, maybe, quite possibly the fact that he had also fantasized about the quarterback annihilating his head with his thighs).

Rushil once again joined Lee at Manley Hall and snuck into the dorm tower with every intent of sitting on Lee's futon and watching the show unravel. When Rushil came to Lee's door, he found the door propped open with a wooden wedge and the sound of Ezra's voice booming from in the room.

"You can't wear a leather jacket to a frat party! You'll get too hot, take it off, and someone will steal it!" Ezra shouted.

"But it looks good," Lee insisted. The leather jacket was flattering on him, and as he turned to check himself out in the floor length mirror Ezra brought, he found Rushil staring at them from the threshold. Rushil was wearing a plain black polo and light grey skinny jeans. The real star of his outfit, however, happened to be a pair of killer sneakers.

Lee looked him up and down and whistled.

Ezra said, "Damn, looking good, kid."

Rushil's cheeks colored pink. "Thanks, man," he said, smiling shyly. He turned to Lee and said, "You ready?"

"No! Absolutely not!" Ezra shouted, startling both of them. He pointed at Lee's brown, ankle-high shoes. "If this man is wearing brown shoes, he cannot wear a black leather jacket. Right?!"

"I-I guess, I don't... really know," Rushil confessed.

Ezra turned to Lee for a translation. "He's straight," Lee said.

Ezra blinked in alarm. His glasses slipped down the bridge of his nose as he said, "Wait, you befriend straight guys?"

Lee groaned and went back to his closet. He put the leather jacket back and pulled out a light black sweatshirt and said, "Okay, then what about this?"

"Yes."

"It's also black!" Lee shouted.

"It's not shiny, though!" Ezra insisted. Lee groaned again and started yanking off his shirt and swapping it with the sweatshirt. He was wearing a pair of loose, dark grey pants that rolled up at the hems, showing off a sliver of his purple socks.

Rushil pointed to them and said, "Nice touch."

"Thanks," Lee said, turning his heel to the side to put them on display. He put his arms out in a gesture to Ezra and said, "We good?"

Ezra gave him one last once-over before holding up a thumbs up. "Yes, good."

Ezra carted his mirror back out into the hallway as Lee shut off the light in his room and ushered Rushil out. He locked the door and slipped the keycard into the zipper pocket on the waistband of his pants.

Ezra wished them the best as they stepped into the elevator. Rushil waved until the doors shut at which point Rushil turned to Lee and said in a dull, vaguely angry voice, "What the Hell did you do."

Lee pretended to busy himself by rolling up the sleeves on his sweatshirt as he said in a sweet voice, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"You just like to stir shit up, don't you? Poke a stick around in it, slosh it around in your mouth a little."

"Bullshit tastes like candy sometimes," Lee confessed with a diabolical smile. "It's oh-so sweet tonight. I can taste it already."

Rushil looked up at the floor numbers diminishing on the screen as he shook his head, saying, "I can't believe I'm best friends with a sociopath."