Chapter 10 - What Now?

Maydah's Point of View.

It was 8:30 at night, we were outisde a petrol station and the lights were off, the whole place was dark, there wasn't a single star in the sky and the moon was far, far away, looking like a bullet point fogged by the invisible clouds of the night.

"Where is she?" I wondered out loud, unable to stand still and sick with worry.

"Just wait Maydah, she'll come," My dad assured.

"What if she's lost?"

"She won't be,"

I carried on pacing up and down near the car, we were near the tire shop where she had told us, and she should have been here half an hour ago.. What was taking so long?

"Maydah," Dad said suddenly making me look up so quickly my neck cricked, I saw the outline of a small girl in the distance. Oh thank god, Azalea was here!

I ran over to hug her. 

"What happened?" I asked concerned.

"I was coming back-" She began

"Girls get in the car," Dad cut her off, his eyes were wondering around the place.

"What's wrong dad?" I asked confused.

"Come on," He said hurrying us up.

We got into the car and my dad sped away.

Once we were home Azalea had told us the whole story. My dad and I couldn't even believe it, how could we never have known any of this? We ate a light dinner and than Azalea went to bed.

"Did we do the right thing?" Dad asked me quietly when Azalea was out of hearing distance.

"Of course, we couldn't have left her with those.. People,"

"I know!" Dad agreed. "But what will happen now?"

"I don't know," I admitted.

Both of us knew very well that the chances of the authorities giving us permission to keep Azalea with us till she found her parents were very slim, espicially since they have their own use for these kids.. Using them in science experiments like they were lab rats! How could any one even think of doing that. And what about that amnesia thing? I remember Azalea telling me that one of the ladies there had told her that the amnesia was caused by the kids being forced into a very small place and most of them were knocked out in order to stay alive when the shooting in the mall took place.

There was only one thing I could confirm from that story, and that was the shooting in the mall. I remember it vividly, three years ago when a guy in a black mask had come into the mall and started shooting like a maniac. Lucky for my dad and me, we were at home that night. I remember it going up all over the news and every one in the neighbourhood coming home with broken families. Going to school at that time was the hardest, every one kept throwing me dirty glances or rock cold stares. All because they suspected the gunman to be a muslim. Years later, after questioning every muslim in the neighbourhood, including my dad, they found out the gunman was actually not a muslim, but a normal man who got drunk in the pub near by.

I honestly don't know what to think here. So maybe I won't think. But what about Azalea? They can't take her back, well, now that I think about it, they probaly won't be taking her back. You see, thanks to Azalea, we now knoe their little secret, and taking her back, won't be good for them. But than, they are the boss around here, they'll find their way around us. So maybe there's only one thing we can do..

We have to find Azalea's parents.