Chapter 20 - Nightime Charm, Daytime Drama

I got out of bed, my pillows flat and my covers were hot. I quitely slipped outside, feeling the cold night air blow against my hot, sleepy face. For hours no creatures dared disturb the stillness, even the crickets had seized to chirp. The sun had turned it's face away, leaving the crescent moon to dimly irradiate the deep, midnight sky. The million and one stars were scattered all over the sky, as if some one had thrown diamonds onto a royal blue cloth and hung it over the sky.

I carried on walking past the blocks, the colourful christmas lights hung over the ginger-bread like houses were off, blending into the darkness that surrounded them. The wind was starting to pick up and the bare trees themselves seemed to shiver. Snow was slowly starting to fall in flurries. The blackness of the night was unreal, in contrast to the lightly falling snow, gently lying on the ground. Clouds were seeming to take over the sky, making it even darker. The sun was gone, as if the world was not used to this freezing darkness. My mind averted from the beauty of the winter curse, as if the White Witch of Winter blew into my mind, howling in all the dread I had managed to swiftly push away.

I couldn't stop thinking about school, about Haylie and her group of minions. About Azalea, what was I to tell her? She had promised Laura Bunsen to set all the kids free, we had done that. Than why do I keep feeling like there's more? Why do I feel we've only started the job and need to finish it off? And what about Zeke? His dad would obviously have a huge influence on him, he would have another plan of his own to make sure I didn't utter a word. Impossible was surrounding me from all angles, it was like being stuck in an ice cube, unable to break free.

"Maydah, you're way ahead of the class anyways, it won't make a difference if you don't go." Auntie Aasiyah persuaded me that morning.

"I'll be fine, chill," I assured, actually, I was assuring myself.

"I'll drop you off," Mazin said, 

"I can walk." I replied sarcastically.

"In this weather, I don't think so," He nodded towards the window.

I looked out, it had snowed pretty heavily last night and now it was all freezing.

"It's not that bad," I shrugged. Actually, it was, any one could easily slip even if they were walking as slow as my great grandma.

"Maydah get in the car," Auntie Aasiyah rolled her eyes.

I huffed and got in the car, Mazin came out after two minutes, briefly saying something to Auntie Aasiyah, she then nodded her head and went back inside.

"What did you tell her?" I asked as Mazin turned the car key making the car grunt.

"Nothing,"

"Why would you tell her nothing?" I insisted.

"Maydah you don't have to know everything!" He blurted.

I kept silent for a while.

"Listen," He said, "I know you and your dad have been on your own for a long time, it's been rough, but you don't always have to be so strong."

"Do you think I would have made it this far if I was weak?" I retorted.

"Strength is not measured like that,"

I waited for him to continue, his eyes were fixed on the road, he slowed down at the traffic light than turned to me.

"It' not about how high you climb.."

"But how high you bounce when you fall," I finished off. My mom used to say that all the time, I remembered it so clearly, in her soft voice on a summer's morning.

"Just drop me off here," I said, as Mazin turned into our school parking lot.

I'll come pick you up, don't walk home," He said, but for some reason it felt like a warning.

I got out of the car, and immediately the gust of cold wind and chatter of the kids hit me, so that now I was fully awake.

"Is that your car?" Haylie walked in front of me, blocking my path.

"What's wrong with it?"

"Some one in the stone age is probably looking for their car because that peice of junk is ancient," Alicia giggled.

"There were no cars in the stone age genious," I huffed walking away.

"Ugh, no one cares about your lame 'I think I'm smart' responses," Haylie rolled her eyes.

"The feelings' mutual,"

"Just don't talk, we liked you better that way," Alicia retorted.

"Would it kill you to get a life?" 

"You're the terrorist, you do the killing," Alicia grinned.

I walked away, thoroughly annoyed, but that was how every school day started.

"Hey Maydah, how are you?" Azalea asked, helping me get my books from my locker.

"I've been better," I sighed, locking my locker and leaning on it.

"I can imagine," Azalea nodded. I was so grateful for her, she was the only friend I had, I would never be able to go through all of this on my own.

The bell rang.

"Bells should be banned," I muttered.

"Right?" Azalea agreed. "Well I got to get to class, I have a science witch for Biology and I think she might cut out my heart and use it for a dissection if I'm late to her class,"

"See you later," I laughed.

I was still leaning on my locker door, mintues after the bell rang, wathcing every one go to their classes.

"How you doing Maydah?" I heard a deep voice before putting a face to it. Zeke Daniels. The first and last person I wanted to see.

"You should know," I scowled.

"My dad had nothing to do with it!" He defended himself.

"Have a talk with Mr Hensus."

"What happened?" He asked, curious.

"Oh, well, he very cheerfully told me he was in charge of my dad's 'incident' and if I was to step out of line they would tear my life apart more than they already have."

Zeke shook his head. "You're wrong,"

"I wouldn't bet on it."

"My dad would never do such a thing!"

"Who is your dad any ways?"